Detecting Logic State of 6 in Binary with Decoder Glitches

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, the conversation discusses using a 3 input AND function to detect the logic state corresponding to "6" in binary using a logic analyzer. The speaker also mentions using a frequency divider with D flip flops, an inverter, and an AND gate to achieve the desired output. They also explain how the 'glitch' occurs due to the timing of the flip flops changing state.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
I have a lab this afternoon that I was going over to ensure I was prepared for it. However, I am not entirely sure about the last part of the lab. Any help or reassurance is appreciated!

Decoder Glitches- Use a 3 input AND function to detect the logic state corresponding to "6" in binary (Q8=1, Q4=1 and Q2=0). Use a logic analyzer to display the expected output and the very brief "glitch" that occurs at the beginning of the zero state.

I'm looking for reassurance as to the first part. I have decided to use a frequency divider utilizing D flip flops, an inverter and an AND gate. Attached is my photo. The AND gate outputs 1 when Q8Q4Q2'=110, which is six.

Thanks!

Attachments

• flipflop.JPG
    flipflop.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 655
Engineering news on Phys.org
The three flip flops are connected as a 'Ripple Counter.'

The third flop will not change state until after the second on has, and the second one will not change state until after the first one has.

At the maximum count of 7, the next state is 0. However the first flop toggles to 0 before the others do, which is decoded as 110b, or 6. That is the source of the 'glitch' just before the 0 state.

1. What is a decoder glitch?

A decoder glitch is an undesired output or state change that occurs in a decoder circuit due to a timing error or electrical noise. It can result in incorrect logic states being detected and can be problematic in digital systems.

2. How does a decoder detect logic state of 6 in binary?

A decoder is a combinational logic circuit that takes an n-bit input and produces 2^n outputs based on the input value. In order to detect the logic state of 6 in binary, the decoder must have at least 3 inputs and 8 outputs. The input values will be represented in binary, with 6 being 110 in binary. The output corresponding to this input will be set to a logic high state, indicating the detection of the logic state of 6.

3. What causes decoder glitches in binary detection?

Decoder glitches can be caused by various factors such as inadequate circuit design, improper timing, or electrical noise. They can also occur due to insufficient power supply or incorrect input values being provided to the decoder.

4. How can decoder glitches be prevented?

Decoder glitches can be prevented by using proper circuit design techniques, ensuring proper timing and power supply, and minimizing electrical noise in the system. Additionally, using decoder circuits with built-in glitch filtering mechanisms can also help prevent glitches.

5. Are decoder glitches a common issue in digital systems?

Decoder glitches can be a common issue in digital systems, especially if proper precautions are not taken during circuit design and implementation. However, with the use of advanced glitch filtering techniques, their occurrence can be significantly reduced.