How Does Reheating Affect Temperature When Pions Exit Thermodynamic Equilibrium?

In summary, to find the change in temperature due to conservation of entropy during reheating when pions are out of thermodynamic equilibrium, we can use the formula ΔT = -T(Δs/s) and calculate Δs using the formulas for entropy before and after the pions exit equilibrium.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Find the change in temperature due to conservation of entropy, which happens during reheating when pions ( [itex]\pi^{\pm},\ \pi^0[/itex] ) get out of thermodynamic equilibrium beneath 140 MeV.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to compare this to the exiting of neutrinos, but I had no luck with that.

I have the connection of entropy and temperature:

[itex]s(T)=\frac{2\pi^2}{45}g_{eff}^s T^3[/itex]

where [itex]g_{eff}^s[/itex] are entropy degrees of freedom given by:

[itex]g_{eff}^s=\sum_{b=1}^{N_b} g_b\left(\frac{T_b}{T}\right)^3+\frac{7}{8}\sum_{f=1}^{N_f}g_f\left(\frac{T_f}{T}\right)^3[/itex]

I could find that looking at masses of all SM particles and seeing which are heavier than 140 MeV, and then putting them in. Only u, d, s quarks, electron, muon have lower masses than pions so I would count them out.

But other than that I have no idea how to solve this :\

Any help would be appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The change in temperature due to conservation of entropy during reheating when pions are out of thermodynamic equilibrium can be calculated using the following formula:

ΔT = -T(Δs/s)

Where Δs is the change in entropy and s is the total entropy. To calculate Δs, we need to consider the entropy of the pions before and after they exit thermodynamic equilibrium.

Before exiting equilibrium, the pions are in thermal equilibrium with the rest of the particles in the system. This means that their entropy is given by:

s_{pi} = \frac{2\pi^2}{45}g_{eff}^s T^3

where g_{eff}^s is the effective number of entropy degrees of freedom, which we can calculate using the formula you provided.

After exiting equilibrium, the pions will have a different entropy, which we can calculate using the same formula. The only difference is that the temperature will now be lower, as the pions are no longer in thermal equilibrium. We can calculate the new temperature using the conservation of energy, which tells us that the total energy of the system remains constant.

Using the above equations, we can now calculate Δs and plug it into the formula for ΔT to find the change in temperature. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does Reheating Affect Temperature When Pions Exit Thermodynamic Equilibrium?

1. What is cosmology thermodynamics?

Cosmology thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between energy, heat, and the universe. It combines the principles of thermodynamics and cosmology to understand the behavior of energy and matter in the universe.

2. How does cosmology thermodynamics relate to the Big Bang Theory?

Cosmology thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the Big Bang Theory. It explains how the universe started as a hot, dense state and has been expanding and cooling down ever since. It also helps us understand the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics and how do they apply to cosmology?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of energy and its conversion into work. In cosmology, these laws apply to the entire universe, and they help us understand the behavior of energy and matter on a large scale.

4. How does dark energy and dark matter factor into cosmology thermodynamics?

Dark energy and dark matter are two components of the universe that have a significant impact on cosmology thermodynamics. They affect the expansion rate of the universe and the distribution of matter, which are important factors in understanding the evolution of the universe.

5. What are some current research topics in cosmology thermodynamics?

Some current research topics in cosmology thermodynamics include studying the role of dark energy and dark matter in the universe, investigating the early universe and its initial conditions, and exploring the possibility of a multiverse. Other areas of interest include the study of black holes and their thermodynamic properties, and the development of new theories and models to explain the behavior of energy and matter in the universe.