How does the Cauchy product prove Faulhaber's formula?

In summary, the proof of Faulhaber's formula involves using the Cauchy product of two series and changing the variable k to k' = k + l. This results in the sum on the right being equal to the sum of all a_{k-i}b_i with limits of i from 0 to k, which can be simplified using the binomial coefficient formula. This proof is valid if both series on the left are absolutely convergent.
the one
hi
i have a problem with the the proof of faulhaber's formula given http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ProofOfFaulhabersFormula.html"

how is [tex]\left(\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{n^{k+1}}{k+1}.\frac{x^k}{k!}\right)\left(\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}B_{l}\frac{x^l}{l!}\right)[/tex] equals [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\sum_{i=0}^{k}\frac{1}{k-i+1}\binom{k}{i}B_{i}n^{k+1-i}\right)\frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]
??
thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Effect the change of variable
i=l
k'=k+l

I don't know how that would work with the limits. Wouldn't you still have [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty[/itex]?

A simpler? if longer explanation is that the sequence on the right is the Cauchy product of the two on the left:

[itex](\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_kx^k)(\sum_{l=0}^\infty b_lx^l)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty(\sum_{i=0}^k a_{k-i}b_i)x^k[/itex]

which is taking the coefficient of [itex]x^k[/itex] on the RHS as the sum of all the [itex]a_{k-i}b_i[/itex] with [itex]0\leq i\leq k[/itex]. This converges if both series on the left do and at least one (in this case both) are absolutely convergent.

Replacing the [itex]a_i[/itex] and [itex]b_i[/itex] from the given sequences and using

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{c} k\\ i \end{array} \right )=\frac{k!}{(k-i)!i!}[/itex]

gives you what you want.

Last edited:

Related to How does the Cauchy product prove Faulhaber's formula?

What is Faulhaber's formula and what is it used for?

Faulhaber's formula is a mathematical formula that allows for the quick calculation of the sum of consecutive powers of natural numbers. It was developed by Johann Faulhaber in the early 17th century and is commonly used in math and science fields.

What is the formula for Faulhaber's formula?

The formula for Faulhaber's formula is: Σnᵏ = (1/ k+1) * Σ(k+1)Cj * Bj * n^(k+1-j), where n is the upper limit of the sum, k is the power, and j ranges from 0 to k+1. Σ represents the sum, Cj is a binomial coefficient, and Bj is a Bernoulli number.

How is Faulhaber's formula derived?

Faulhaber's formula is derived using the Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula. The Bernoulli numbers are a sequence of rational numbers that appear in many areas of mathematics, while the Euler-Maclaurin formula is used to approximate the sum of a function over a finite interval. By using the Euler-Maclaurin formula and manipulating the Bernoulli numbers, Faulhaber's formula can be derived.

What are some practical applications of Faulhaber's formula?

Faulhaber's formula has many applications in math and science, including in number theory, combinatorics, and physics. It can be used to quickly calculate the sum of consecutive powers of natural numbers, as well as approximate the sum of certain functions. It has also been used in the study of prime numbers and in the analysis of algorithms.

Are there any limitations to Faulhaber's formula?

While Faulhaber's formula is a useful tool for calculating sums of powers, it does have its limitations. It only applies to sums of consecutive powers of natural numbers, and it becomes more complex as the power increases. Additionally, the formula does not work for negative powers or non-integer powers.