How does the Energy of a particle stay together?

In summary, the energy of particles, such as electrons and quarks, is held together unlike photons which do not need anything to hold them together. This is because energy is a property of particles and is conserved, rather than a physical object that can move around freely. The difference between particles without rest mass, such as photons, and particles with rest mass is that the latter can stand still while the former must move and cover distance.
Moviemann345
How does the Energy of a particle stay together in a sphere?

Unlike photons, particles---electrons, neutrinos, quarks, etc-- hold onto their energy. But how? I use to speculate, thinking that maybe photons could fluctuate into some sort of endless ring/sphere of infinity creating a particle... but I'm really not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not spheres. They are structureless points (in SM). They don't need anything to hold them together.

They are not spheres. They are structureless points (in SM). They don't need anything to hold them together.
Well what causes energy to stand still in particles vs move and cover distance as in photons?

Energy isn't some physical object that can move around freely. It's a property of particles or systems that is conserved.

I don't understand your question.
I understand every word separately, but not the question at whole.
Are you asking about the difference between particles without rest mass (photons) and particles with rest mass?

Dmitry67 said:
I don't understand your question.
I understand every word separately, but not the question at whole.
Are you asking about the difference between particles without rest mass (photons) and particles with rest mass?

Yeah that's what I'm asking

Related to How does the Energy of a particle stay together?

1. How does the energy of a particle stay together?

The energy of a particle stays together due to a fundamental force known as the strong nuclear force. This force is responsible for binding the particles within an atom together, including protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

2. What is the role of the strong nuclear force in keeping particles together?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for overcoming the repulsive forces between positively charged protons in the nucleus. It does this by exchanging particles called gluons between the quarks that make up the protons and neutrons, effectively binding them together.

3. Can the strong nuclear force be broken?

Under normal conditions, the strong nuclear force is incredibly powerful and cannot be broken. However, at extremely high energies, such as those found in particle accelerators, the force can be overcome, leading to the breakup of particles and the release of energy.

4. How does the energy of a particle affect its stability?

The energy of a particle plays a crucial role in determining its stability. Generally, particles with higher energy are less stable and are more likely to decay into more stable particles. This is because the strong nuclear force becomes weaker at higher energies, making it easier for particles to break apart.

5. What happens to the energy of a particle when it decays?

When a particle decays, its energy is transformed into other forms, such as kinetic energy, radiation, or the energy of new particles that are created. This process follows the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.