How Does the Radius of a Balloon Change with a 19.4% Increase in Surface Area?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
jackt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
a spherical balloon expands when it is taken from the cold outdoors to the inside of a warm house. if its surface area increases 19.4%, by what percentage does the radius of the balloon change?


I've tried this several times but I am not sure how to go about beginning the work
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I were doing this problem,
I would write down quantities with labels like:

for the volume of the ball before...
[tex]V_{before}=\frac{4\pi}{3}r_{before}^3[/tex]
and, similarly, for "after".
They can be compared by taking the ratio:
[tex]\frac{ V_{after} }{V_{before} }[/tex].

How would you use this strategy with your particular problem?

What does "increases 19.4%" mean in terms of a ratio?
 
The increase in 19.4% means the difference between the new surface area and the original or we could write it as:

4(pi)R^2-4(pi)r^2 where R is the new(larger) radius and r the original radius

We also know that increase percentage is calculated on the original value which happens to be 4(pi)r^2.

Hence, {4(pi)R^2-4(pi)r^2}/4(pi)r^2 *100=19.4

Evaluate this and then find the relation only in terms of the ratio of the difference in radius to the original radius...
 
Last edited:
ron_jay said:
in terms of the difference in radius...

For this type of problem, it's more efficient to think in ratios of radii, rather than difference in radii.