How does the system work for graduate school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of recommendations from a research supervisor who graduated from a prestigious university on graduate school admissions. The participants question whether this "back room recommendation/old boy system" holds weight and how it may impact their chances of being accepted into top tier schools. It is ultimately determined that while it may slightly increase one's chances, there are many other factors that play a larger role in the admissions process. Personal experience and examples are also shared to further illustrate the unpredictable nature of admissions decisions.
DukeofDuke
How does the "system" work for graduate school?

Hello,
I am currently an undergrad working on a long term research project with a professor at my university. My question is, as far as recommendations go, will his recs carry more weight at the university he graduated from? He is a Harvard PhD and I am wondering if I would have a better shot at Harvard than at other epically difficult top tier schools.

Really, how does the back room recommendation/old boy system work as far as Physics goes?? How far does that kind of thing go/carry weight?

Thanks for any answers you have. I just want to understand whether or not it will be a waste...I do not think I am particularly bright, I just feel like a different person when I do physics (and mathematics) but a lot of times that doesn't translate into good conventional scores (I am perpetually stuck in the damn A-/B+ range, which from my school indicates rejection from a lot of the "top" graduate schools if history is a reliable indicator). So just wondering if its worth giving more consideration to a school my advisor graduated from.

=)

Physics news on Phys.org

Depends on your PGRE (900+) you need to give your recommender something to work with and the recommender but either way how is anyone supposed to know how much possible pull your recommender has other than your recommender.

j93 said:
Depends on your PGRE (900+) you need to give your recommender something to work with and the recommender but either way how is anyone supposed to know how much possible pull your recommender has other than your recommender.

Well, I don't expect anybody to know the individual impact my research supervisor's influence may have but I am curious as to how universities treat students of their own, really.

I does depend on the admissions process. Perhaps if your adviser's adviser (or someone else who knew your adviser while he was a student at Harvard) is on the committee, or makes a special request to the committee, it might carry weight. It might also pass by completely unnoticed. So it might increase your chances at Harvard relative to comparable schools; it might not.

As others mention, your application will probably be looked at in full by all schools you apply to. So even if your application might be given slight weight at Harvard, I wouldn't bet on it without all the other factors in line that a school like Harvard generally looks at.

In my past experience in an admissions committee, we denied admission to someone who had worked for a Nobel Laureate at our own institution (in an REU program). While this student had a strong recommendation from a faculty member we definitely respected, the students' GRE and GPA just weren't up to par with that of the students we did admit, and we feared the student wouldn't successfully make it through the introductory coursework, even through the student did show strength in the lab during the REU.

We also denied admission to some of our own undergrads on the same basis. Sometimes if they didn't get in anywhere and were lucky and HAD shown good lab skills, a professor would let them work for a year in the lab with some slight funding, before they reapplied to programs the following year.

physics girl phd said:
I does depend on the admissions process. Perhaps if your adviser's adviser (or someone else who knew your adviser while he was a student at Harvard) is on the committee, or makes a special request to the committee, it might carry weight. It might also pass by completely unnoticed. So it might increase your chances at Harvard relative to comparable schools; it might not.

As others mention, your application will probably be looked at in full by all schools you apply to. So even if your application might be given slight weight at Harvard, I wouldn't bet on it without all the other factors in line that a school like Harvard generally looks at.

In my past experience in an admissions committee, we denied admission to someone who had worked for a Nobel Laureate at our own institution (in an REU program). While this student had a strong recommendation from a faculty member we definitely respected, the students' GRE and GPA just weren't up to par with that of the students we did admit, and we feared the student wouldn't successfully make it through the introductory coursework, even through the student did show strength in the lab during the REU.

We also denied admission to some of our own undergrads on the same basis. Sometimes if they didn't get in anywhere and were lucky and HAD shown good lab skills, a professor would let them work for a year in the lab with some slight funding, before they reapplied to programs the following year.

Thank you! This was exactly what I wanted to know, and the example answered my question very well. I guess I'll have to start working hard haha :rofl:

1. How do I choose the right graduate program for me?

Choosing the right graduate program can be a daunting task. It's important to research different programs and consider factors such as faculty expertise, program curriculum, location, and funding opportunities. It's also helpful to speak with current graduate students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

2. What is the application process like for graduate school?

The application process for graduate school typically involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require a writing sample or interview. It's important to carefully follow the instructions provided by each program and to submit all materials by the deadline.

3. How long does it take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the discipline and type of degree. Master's programs typically take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral programs can take anywhere from 4-7 years. Additionally, the time it takes to complete a program can also depend on the individual's progress and research project.

4. What is the difference between a thesis and a dissertation?

A thesis is typically required for a master's degree and involves conducting original research and writing a document to present the findings. A dissertation is required for a doctoral degree and is a longer and more in-depth research project that contributes new knowledge to the field. Both require a defense of the research in front of a committee.

5. What are the funding options for graduate school?

Graduate school can be expensive, but there are various funding options available. These can include scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and loans. It's important to research and apply for funding opportunities early, as they can be competitive. Additionally, some programs may offer funding as part of the admission offer.