How evolution builds genes from scratch

In summary, the article discusses the discovery of new genes in the non-coding regions of the genome, which may have significant implications for genetic research. While this is not the creation of new genes from scratch, it may provide insight into the same processes that lead to mutations in coding genes. The author plans to monitor this development and wait for further developments.
Biology news on Phys.org
I read this a couple of days ago and have to admit I don't really know what to make of it yet. In some ways its a bit misleading in that this isn't about building new genes from scratch, its about new genes arising in the non coding parts of the genome. As a considerable part of this is genetic material involved in the control of gene expression changes in these areas probably reflect exactly the same events that cause mutation in the coding genes. I think I'll wait this one out and see how it develops.

1. How does evolution create new genes?

Evolution creates new genes through a process called gene duplication. This occurs when a segment of DNA is duplicated, creating an extra copy of a gene. These duplicated genes can then undergo mutations and changes, leading to the creation of new genes with new functions.

2. Can genes be built from scratch?

Yes, genes can be built from scratch through a process called de novo gene creation. This occurs when a new gene is formed from non-coding DNA sequences. These sequences can acquire mutations that allow them to be transcribed and translated into functional proteins.

3. How long does it take for a new gene to evolve?

The time it takes for a new gene to evolve can vary greatly. It can take anywhere from a few generations to millions of years, depending on the rate of mutations and the selective pressures acting on the gene.

4. What is the role of natural selection in the evolution of new genes?

Natural selection plays a crucial role in the evolution of new genes. It acts on the variations created by gene duplication and de novo gene creation, selecting for those that provide a survival or reproductive advantage. Over time, these beneficial variations can become fixed in a population, leading to the evolution of new genes.

5. Can environmental factors influence the evolution of new genes?

Yes, environmental factors can influence the evolution of new genes. For example, changes in environmental conditions can create selective pressures that favor the development of new genes with specific functions. Additionally, environmental stressors can cause mutations that may lead to the creation of new genes or the modification of existing ones.