How far back can you remember ?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know how I knew it, but I knew it was a phone number. I started screaming and my parents came running in to see what was wrong. Turns out I recognized the number from a commercial.I was born in 86 and my brother was born in 90. I remember telling my parents to buy me a brother :biggrin:. I also remember my mom asking me if I really wanted a brother and that he will have to share everything with me. I remember sitting in the car with mom and dad when mom was pregnant and going to the hospital. I told her to just open her belly and take the baby out without going to a doctor :biggrin:. One funny thing I remember is the first
I remember being 2, and my brother taking me to pick berries with a little pail. Problem being, he was only 3 and we got lost in the big woods.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have some memories of pre-school, and a few very hazy memories prior to that. I had to be somewhere between 2 and 3, probably closer to 3, because they are of my sister as an infant/baby, and she's 21 mo younger than I am, but they are VERY vague, more like two photographs than memory of a full event.

hypatia said:
I remember being 2, and my brother taking me to pick berries with a little pail. Problem being, he was only 3 and we got lost in the big woods.
Did you find the gingerbread house?

wolram said:
I rang that number 1-800-722-7337. :blushing:
This does give me the opportunity to say something indecent about your mother, but I won't. o:)

I just realized I was 2 when we were in Tennessee (my mom was pregnant with my older sister).

honestrosewater said:
I just realized I was 2 when we were in Tennessee (my mom was pregnant with my older sister).
You were 2 when your mom was pregnant with your older sister? I think you may need some fine-tuning on those older memories. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
You were 2 when your mom was pregnant with your older sister? I think you may need some fine-tuning on those older memories. :rofl:
Yeah, I wanted to see if anyone would catch that. I don't have an older sister! Congratulations! For being the sharpest knife in the block, you've won* a fetching, rhinestone encrusted butterfly keychain/bottle opener. :biggrin:

*Must send $15 for shipping and handling in order to receive your prize.

Hm, maybe I put too much thought into that...

honestrosewater said:
Yeah, I wanted to see if anyone would catch that. I don't have an older sister! Congratulations! For being the sharpest knife in the block, you've won* a fetching, rhinestone encrusted butterfly keychain/bottle opener. :biggrin:

I just thought you were drunk again :smile:

umm...she is?

Did I ever tell you how much I love you, yomamma? You are your little :yuck:

honestrosewater said:

Ooh! I won! I won! I won! I never win anything!

Oh, wait, there's fine print. :frown: :grumpy: There's always fine print.

Moonbear said:
Ooh! I won! I won! I won! I never win anything!

Oh, wait, there's fine print. :frown: :grumpy: There's always fine print.
Eh, you're not missing much. I'm not sure what it's encrusted with... looks kinda like green ear wax... oh that is so grooossss.

My earliest memory begins with me playing with (this is hard for me to say) a doll at the top of the stairs. Let me just stress - we were poor. Couldn't afford toys. The doll was donated by a neighbour. It's not like I had a choice, okay! Being poor also put an end to ideas of having one of those little safety gate things for the stairs. I dropped the doll down the stairs and attempted to crawl after it. My mum was at the bottom of the stairs. I don't recall feeling any pain as I was bouncing down the stairs, but I do remember feeling distressed and was hurt that my mum didn't stop what was happening to me. When grilled, my mum recalled the incident and said I was about 1 and a half. She had nothing to say about me playing with a doll, though. Or the lack of safety procedures.

I have lots of memories from around 3 years old. We lived in 4 different houses (plus a stay at a motel when we first moved to Akron) between my 3rd birthday and kindergarten. I just have a few snapshot memories before that.

The first place we lived in Akron was the upstairs of a farm house, which provided lots of memories... showing my baby chick that had been dyed blue to everyone until they were sick of it and finally resorting to showing it to the different animals on the farm; the cat seemed to enjoy it the most :cry: (my mom nearly died of a heart attack when I ran in the house screaming with my hand coated in blood) ... the fact that we were lucky to live at the top of a hill; my dad could push his car and pop the clutch to get it started every morning ... my dad slipping on the ice at the top of the stairs, dropping four cartons of pop bottles down the stairs, and tumbling down after them (that was impressive; falling down stairs littered with broken glass always is) ... sneaking down the stairs and sitting with the old woman downstairs while she played solitaire ... when the dog downstairs had puppies ... when my sister was born and I tipped over the basinet trying to sneak a peek at her.