How far can a person dive at 14' above the water?

• Thread starter apacheman15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, The conversation discusses how to calculate the launch angle and force needed to successfully dive out 14' away from a 14' high platform. The speaker suggests using equations from Physics 101 to determine the relationship between distance, time, and speed. They also mention calculating the time it takes to free-fall from 14' and using that to determine the required horizontal speed for the dive.
apacheman15
Before I ask the question, let me say that nobody that I know (myself included) is going to partake in this potentially fatal stunt. Now then...here is the question? How can I figure out the launch angle and force of a dive needed to dive out 14' away from a sturdy platform that is also 14' high? I'm sure there is an equation but I don't have a clue how to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a hold of those equations from Physics 101 about the relationship between distance traveled, time that it took and speed.

Also, about how long it takes to hit the ground when an object free-falls from a given height.

So, you first calculates to fall from 14'

Then, you take that time and calculate what constant speed you need to travel that distance horizontally during the same time...and all you need to do is start running and make sure you achieve that speed (horizonatly) as you leave the platform

1. How deep can a person dive at 14' above the water?

The depth a person can dive at 14' above the water depends on various factors such as their diving experience, physical fitness, and equipment. On average, a person can safely dive up to 60-70 feet at this height.

2. Is it safe to dive at 14' above the water?

Generally, diving at 14' above the water is considered safe as long as the diver follows proper safety precautions and is trained in diving techniques. However, it is always recommended to assess the diving spot and conditions before diving.

3. How long can a person stay underwater at 14' above the water?

The duration a person can stay underwater at 14' above the water varies depending on their lung capacity, physical condition, and diving experience. On average, a person can hold their breath for 30-60 seconds at this depth.

4. Can a person dive deeper than 14' at this height?

Yes, it is possible for a person to dive deeper than 14' at this height. However, it is not recommended for inexperienced divers as it requires proper training and equipment to safely dive at deeper depths.

5. What are the potential risks of diving at 14' above the water?

The potential risks of diving at 14' above the water include decompression sickness, nitrogen narcosis, and barotrauma. It is essential to follow safety guidelines and dive within one's limits to minimize these risks.