1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far can a person dive at 14' above the water?

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    Before I ask the question, let me say that nobody that I know (myself included) is going to partake in this potentially fatal stunt. Now then...here is the question? How can I figure out the launch angle and force of a dive needed to dive out 14' away from a sturdy platform that is also 14' high? I'm sure there is an equation but I don't have a clue how to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    You need to get a hold of those equations from Physics 101 about the relationship between distance traveled, time that it took and speed.

Also, about how long it takes to hit the ground when an object free-falls from a given height.

So, you first calculates to fall from 14'

Then, you take that time and calculate what constant speed you need to travel that distance horizontally during the same time...and all you need to do is start running and make sure you achieve that speed (horizonatly) as you leave the platform

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook