Sniper Projectile Motion: Trajectory and Impact Analysis

In summary, the sniper fired a bullet at 120 m/s at 30° above the horizontal from the roof top of a 35 m high parking garage. If the bullet strikes the level ground beside the parking garage, it will travel for .55 seconds and will change the horizontal distance by 1,331.2 m.
Inferior Mind
A sniper fires a bullet at 120 m/s at 30° above the horizontal from the roof top of a 35 m high parking garage. If the bullet strikes the level ground beside the parking garage:

How long was the bullet in the air?

How far from the base of the parking garage did the bullet land?

At what angle did the bullet land?

g= -9.8 m/s^2
Vi= 120 m/s @ 30 degree incline
h=35 m
Vx= 120Cos30 = 140 m/s
Vy= 120Sin30 = 60 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the following equation to find time:
Δy = v_oyt + 1/2at^2,
where Δy = - 35, v_0y = 60, a = -9.8m/s^2

First off, doesn't a Muzzle Velocity seem a bit low at 120 m/s? -_-

Alright, so it looks like I end up with a Quadratic and solve for both values.

0 = -4.9t^2 + 60t + 35

t = -.55s and 12.8s

But there can't be negative time, amiright ?

And I am unsure about the Total change in the horizontal distance.

Would ~ Dx = Vx(t) ? [x represents the change in the horizontal or x-axis]

= (104 m/s)12.8 s
= 1,331.2 m

Ok good, I'm assuming you did the quadratic right.
If t is 12.8 s.
Simply use the same equation again:
Δx = v_oxt + 1/2at^2,
Here a = 0, so the equation becomes:
delta x = v_oxt
You have both of those.
It seems like you've done it right.
Good job.

It's uses a spring to fire the bullet!

The point was to separate horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components.

With straight line constant acceleration a, velocity is [itex]at+ v_0[/itex] and distance traveled is [itex](1/2)at^2+ v_0t+ s_0[itex]

In this problem, vertically, the acceleration is -g= -9.82 m/s^2, approximately, so that [itex]y= -4.91t^2+ 60t+ 35[/itex] where I have chosen the "0" height to be on the ground, at the bottom of the building. The bullet hits the ground, then, when [itex]-4.91t^2+ 60t+ 35= 0[/itex]. Yes, that will have two roots, one negative and one positive. Yes, the positive root is the one you want.

Horizontally, the acceleration is 0 so the equation is [itex]x= 140t[/itex] where I have chosen x= 0 as the starting point, horizontally. To find how far the bullet goes horizontally, set t equal to the value you got before for the time the bullet is in the air.

Alright, so assuming everything so far is correct, my only issue has been the angle at which the bullet hits the ground.

If Tan θ = O / A then could I use the components for Sin and Cos ?

My text says that I should change the Velocity of the Vertical Component by using:

Vr = Vy + aΔt
= 60 m/s + (-9.8 m/s)12.8s
= -65.5 m/s

Since this becomes the Hypotenuse of the triangle at the moment of impact it becomes positive.

... so Tan^-1(104/65.5) = 57.79° from the Vertical.

Can someone double check if this is an acceptable answer?

Thanks in advance.

Related to Sniper Projectile Motion: Trajectory and Impact Analysis

1. How does gravity affect the trajectory of a sniper projectile?

Gravity plays a significant role in the trajectory of a sniper projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it is constantly being pulled towards the ground by the force of gravity. This results in a curved path, known as a parabola, which is influenced by the initial velocity, angle of release, and air resistance.

2. What factors affect the range of a sniper projectile?

The range of a sniper projectile is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and the height of the shooter. The higher the initial velocity and the lower the angle of release, the farther the projectile will travel. Air resistance and the height of the shooter can also impact the range, as they affect the amount of time the projectile spends in the air.

3. How does air resistance affect the flight of a sniper projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the flight of a sniper projectile. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences resistance, which slows it down and can cause it to deviate from its intended path. This is why snipers must take into account wind speed and direction when aiming for their target.

4. Can a sniper projectile change direction mid-flight?

Technically, yes, a sniper projectile can change direction mid-flight. This can happen due to unpredictable factors such as wind gusts or human error. However, in general, the trajectory of a sniper projectile is very stable and does not change direction unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How do you calculate the time of flight for a sniper projectile?

The time of flight for a sniper projectile can be calculated using the formula t = 2v₀sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a flat, level surface. In real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance and the height of the shooter may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.