How Fast Does the Center of Mass of a Falling Stick Move?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tanya Sharma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Falling Slipping
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 6K views
Tanya Sharma said:
So, $$ ω^2 = \frac{12g(1-cosθ)}{L(3sin^2θ+1)} $$ looks alright to you ?

I like it :smile:

Tanya Sharma said:
And then

$$ v_{cm} = -\frac{L}{2}(\dotθsinθ) $$

gives $$ ω = -[\frac{3gL(1-cosθ)(sinθ)}{(3sin^2θ+1)}]^\frac{1}{2} $$

Is this fine ?
why minus? And you miss a factor of 2. $$ ω =2\sqrt{ \frac{3g(1-cosθ)}{L(3sin^2θ+1)} }$$

and Vcm=-ωsinθ L/2.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh ! that was a typo..I meant

$$ v_{cm} = -[\frac{3gL(1-cosθ)(sinθ)}{(3sin^2θ+1)}]^\frac{1}{2} $$

Minus makes perfect sense...
 
Tanya Sharma said:
Oh ! that was a typo..I meant

$$ v_{cm} = -[\frac{3gL(1-cosθ)(sinθ)}{(3sin^2θ+1)}]^\frac{1}{2} $$

Minus makes perfect sense...

$$ v_{cm} = -[\frac{3gL(1-cosθ)(sin^2θ)}{(3sin^2θ+1)}]^\frac{1}{2} $$
sinθ has to be squared if you pull it under the square root. But otherwise it is perfect:thumbs: Have a good rest, you deserve it. :smile:

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
ehild...I am falling short of words to express my gratitude...All I will say is "THANK YOU ehild" .

You rock! :smile:
 
Tanya Sharma said:
ehild...I am falling short of words to express my gratitude...All I will say is "THANK YOU ehild" .

You rock! :smile:

You are welcome. That was a challenging problem. I am also exhausted :smile:

ehild