How Fast Does the Center of Mass of a Falling Stick Move?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tanya Sharma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Falling Slipping
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 6K views
Tanya Sharma
Messages
1,541
Reaction score
135

Homework Statement



A stick of mass M and length L is held vertically on a frictionless surface. A gentle push at the top causes the rod to fall from this position . Find the speed of its center of mass when it makes an angle θ with vertical .

a) Use force method
b) Use energy method


Homework Equations



F=Ma
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution



First I tried using the Newtons laws of translation and rotation .

1) The forces acting in the vertical direction are Mg and Normal from the floor at the lower end (N) .

$$ Mg - N = Ma_{cm} $$

2) Writing torque equation about CM ,

$$ N\frac{L}{2}sinθ = \frac{ML^2}{12}\ddotθ $$

3) ycm = (L/2)cosθ

So , $$ v_{cm} = -\frac{L}{2}(\dotθsinθ) $$

and , $$ a_{cm} = -\frac{L}{2}[\ddotθsinθ + (\dotθ^2)cosθ] $$

Using the above three equations,I end up with

$$ a_{cm} = \frac{1}{1-3sin^2θ}(-3gsin^2θ - \frac{L}{2}\dotθ^2cosθ ) $$

But I need to find relation between vcm and θ .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There was a thread about this problem a couple of days ago, where the same (difficult) approach was used.

I suggest using energy.
 
You can write up acm also in terms of theta and derivatives. Then apply the trick that d2θ/dt2= dω/dt = (dω/dθ) ω =0.5 d(ω2)/dθ. You can consider ω2 a new variable, say z, and you get a first order linear equation for it (hopefully) .

ehild
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
ehild said:
You can write up acm also in terms of theta and derivatives.
ehild

Is it something different from $$ a_{cm} = -\frac{L}{2}[\ddotθsinθ + (\dotθ^2)cosθ] $$ ?

Are the three equations I have formed correct and relevant ?
 
Last edited:
voko said:
There was a thread about this problem a couple of days ago, where the same (difficult) approach was used.

I suggest using energy.
As I read the OP, the requirement is to solve it twice, once using energy and once using forces.
 
ehild said:
I meant to write a de for theta.

ehild

Okay ...this is what i get

$$\frac{L}{6sinθ}(3sin^2θ-1)\ddotθ + \frac{L}{2}cosθ\dotθ^2 + g = 0 $$

Putting θ '' = ωdω/dθ and θ' = ω

$$ \frac{L}{6sinθ}(3sin^2θ-1)ω\frac{dω}{dθ} + \frac{L}{2}cosθω^2 + g = 0 $$

Is it correct ?
 
Last edited:
are you considering the translational velocity of the center of mass?
I am too trying to solve this problem.
 
nil1996 said:
are you considering the translational velocity of the center of mass?
I am too trying to solve this problem.

vcm is the velocity of center of mass .
 
I mean that the rod as a whole is also moving in horizontal direction(as there is no friction). I don't see you have considered this velocity.
 
nil1996 said:
I mean that the rod as a whole is also moving in horizontal direction(as there is no friction). I don't see you have considered this velocity.

Please wait for some time before you put forward any query or suggestions...
 
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement



A stick of mass M and length L is held vertically on a frictionless surface. A gentle push at the top causes the rod to fall from this position . Find the speed of its center of mass when it makes an angle θ with vertical .

a) Use force method
b) Use energy method


Homework Equations



F=Ma
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution



First I tried using the Newtons laws of translation and rotation .

1) The forces acting in the vertical direction are Mg and Normal from the floor at the lower end (N) .

$$ Mg - N = Ma_{cm} $$

2) Writing torque equation about CM ,

$$ N\frac{L}{2}sinθ = \frac{ML^2}{12}\ddotθ $$

3) ycm = (L/2)cosθ

I miss a picture...

If the origin is at the ground just below the CM, the y-axis points upward, and then macm=d2ycm/dt2=N-mg.
Using acm and vcm is confusing, use the derivatives of y, and check the signs.

At the end, use ω2 as variable, function of theta.

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Okay ...this is what i get

$$\frac{L}{6sinθ}(3sin^2θ-1)\ddotθ + \frac{L}{2}cosθ\dotθ^2 + g = 0 $$

Putting θ '' = ωdω/dθ and θ' = ω

$$ \frac{L}{6sinθ}(3sin^2θ-1)ω\frac{dω}{dθ} + \frac{L}{2}cosθω^2 + g = 0 $$

Is it correct ?

Check the signs. Read my previous post.

ωdω/dθ=0.5 d(ω2/dθ). You have a first order equation for ω2, easy to solve.

ehild
 
Last edited:
ehild said:
I miss a picture...

Here is the picture
 
Attachments
  • stick.PNG
    stick.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 547
voko said:
Why would it move horizontally?

If it is going in circular motion it will experience a radially outward force.Isn't it?So i think due to this force the center of mass will have a translational motion too as there is no friction.Is that right??
 
$$ \frac{(3sin^2θ+1)}{(12sinθ)}\frac{dz}{dθ} + \frac{L}{2}(cosθ) z - g =0 $$

Does this makes sense ?
 
Tanya Sharma said:
$$ \frac{(3sin^2θ+1)}{(12sinθ)}\frac{dz}{dθ} + \frac{L}{2}(cosθ) z - g =0 $$

Does this makes sense ?

You miss an L in the first term. Otherwise it is OK :thumbs:

ehild
 
nil1996 said:
If it is going in circular motion it will experience a radially outward force.Isn't it?So i think due to this force the center of mass will have a translational motion too as there is no friction.Is that right??

If there is no friction, the net horizontal force is zero. So the horizontal momentum is conserved. We can choose an inertial reference frame where the rod has no horizontal motion.
 
voko said:
If there is no friction, the net horizontal force is zero. So the horizontal momentum is conserved. We can choose an inertial reference frame where the rod has no horizontal motion.

thanks i got it.:thumbs:
 
Tanya Sharma said:
$$ \frac{(3sin^2θ+1)}{(12sinθ)}\frac{dz}{dθ} + \frac{L}{2}(cosθ) z - g =0 $$

Does this makes sense ?

Sorry for interrupting you thread:frown:
 
ehild...By applying method of separation of variables ; z =u(θ)v(θ)

v(θ) = C1/(3sin2θ + 1)

u(θ) = (-12gcosθ)/(LC1) + C2

This doesn't give me correct answer ...Is this what you are getting or something else?
 
Tanya Sharma said:
ehild...By applying method of separation of variables ; z =u(θ)v(θ)

v(θ) = C1/(3sin2θ + 1)

u(θ) = (-12gcosθ)/(LC1) + C2

This doesn't give me correct answer ...Is this what you are getting or something else?

One integration constant is enough, you can take C1=1.

It looks correct, although I did not check the constants. So uv=ω2, and ω=0 at θ=0. Find the constant, then calculate ω at θ=pi/2.

ehild
 
ehild said:
One integration constant is enough, you can take C1=1.

It looks correct, although I did not check the constants. So uv=ω2, and ω=0 at θ=0.

ehild

Constant C = 12g/L

ω2 = 12g(1-cosθ)/[L(3sin2θ+1)] .This doesn't seem to be right.
ehild said:
Find the constant, then calculate ω at θ=pi/2.

Why ? What has θ=pi/2 to do ?
 
Sorry, I thought you need the final velocity. Why do you think it is not right?

ehild
 
So, $$ ω^2 = \frac{12g(1-cosθ)}{L(3sin^2θ+1)} $$ looks alright to you ?

And then

$$ v_{cm} = -\frac{L}{2}(\dotθsinθ) $$

gives $$ ω = -[\frac{3gL(1-cosθ)(sinθ)}{(3sin^2θ+1)}]^\frac{1}{2} $$

Is this fine ?
 
I got the same result with the energy method.