How fast is a falling object going without riction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of an object that falls from rest for a distance of 25 m, assuming there is no air friction. The first suggestion is to use the formula v=(25m)(9.8m/s^2) to calculate the velocity, but it is pointed out that the units are incorrect. Another formula, x=x0+v0*t+(1/2)*a*t^2, is suggested as a more accurate approach, and it is mentioned that there is a shortcut formula available as well. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to find the correct formula that relates initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traversed.
get_rekd
An object falls from rest for a distance of 25 m. If there was no air friction, how fast was it going at that distance?

I'm not sure but I would imagine v=(25m)(9.8m/s^2)= 245m/s ? which seems quite high to me so I know I am not calculating it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure aren't. The units of your v are m^2/sec^2. That's not a velocity. It's a velocity squared. Hint, hint. There's a shortcut formula you can use, or you can just do straight kinematics. Like x=x0+v0*t+(1/2)*a*t^2.

so should I just take the square root of 245 then?

Nope. There's another dimensionless factor you are missing. If you are going to go for a shortcut, I think you should find the correct formula, there is one that relates initial velocity, final velocity and distance traversed.

FAQ: How fast is a falling object going without riction

1. How does gravity affect the speed of a falling object?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. As an object falls, it accelerates due to the force of gravity. This means that the speed of the object will increase as it falls.

2. Does the mass of the object affect its speed?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it, and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the mass of an object does not affect its speed as it falls without friction.

3. How does air resistance impact the speed of a falling object?

Air resistance, also known as air friction, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As the speed of a falling object increases, so does the force of air resistance. This means that air resistance can slow down the speed of a falling object, but it is not a significant factor in the absence of other external forces.

4. Is there a limit to how fast a falling object can go without friction?

According to the Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as an object falls, the force of gravity increases and the acceleration decreases. Ultimately, the object will reach a terminal velocity where the force of gravity is balanced by the force of air resistance, and the object will no longer accelerate.

5. How can the speed of a falling object be calculated?

The speed of a falling object can be calculated using the equation v = g × t, where v is the velocity (speed), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth), and t is the time in seconds that the object has been falling. This equation assumes no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object.

Back