How fast would a car be going to throw a 50lb object 38ft?

• Thread starter JReed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is about finding a simple formula to estimate the speed a car would need to throw a 50lb object 38 feet horizontally. However, factors such as friction and other variables need to be taken into account, making it impossible to determine a specific answer. The discussion concludes that there is no simple formula for this scenario and the thread is closed.
JReed
Looking for some calculations help, if someone wouldn't mind. I'm trying to figure out what simple formula I might use to estimate how fast a car would have to be going to throw a 50lb object 38 feet. All of the formulas I've found take into account other factors such as friction. I am just looking for the simplest formula I can find to determine a reasonable estimate.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this 38 feet horizontally, or on an angle? 38 feet before hitting the ground, or 38 feet after skidding?

Like, a car hits an object and the object lands/stops (so I guess including skidding?) 38 feet horizonally away from the point of impact.

Well, you'll definitely need to take friction in account for that calculation, becaue friction will be what stops the object. The answer will vary depending on the materials.

Unfortunately the question you're asking doesn't have the simple answer that you're looking for. Those factors like friction, weight of the car, amount of damage done to the car, amount of damage done to the object, height of impact... that you don't want to consider all matter. If they aren't specified, the answer will be "some non-zero speed".

As there is no satisfactory answer to the question, this thread is closed.

Related to How fast would a car be going to throw a 50lb object 38ft?

1. How is the speed of the car related to the distance the object is thrown?

The speed of the car directly affects the distance the object is thrown. The faster the car is going, the greater the velocity of the object and the farther it will travel.

2. Can you calculate the speed of the car based on the weight and distance of the object?

Yes, using the formula for projectile motion, we can calculate the initial velocity of the object based on its weight and the distance it is thrown. However, this calculation assumes that the car is traveling at a constant speed and that there are no other external forces acting on the object.

3. What other factors can affect the speed of the car and the distance the object is thrown?

Several factors can affect the speed of the car and the distance the object is thrown, such as air resistance, the angle at which the object is thrown, and the surface the object is thrown on. These variables can all impact the velocity and trajectory of the object.

4. Is there a limit to how fast the car can go to achieve a distance of 38ft for a 50lb object?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast the car can go. The speed of the car must be great enough to generate the necessary velocity for the object to travel 38ft, but it cannot exceed the maximum speed that the car is capable of reaching without causing damage or endangering those in or around the car.

5. How would the speed and distance change if the weight of the object was increased or decreased?

The speed and distance would both be affected by a change in the weight of the object. A heavier object would require a faster car speed to achieve the same distance, while a lighter object would require a slower car speed. However, other factors such as air resistance and the angle of release would also play a role in the final distance achieved.