How hard would it be to output a stable beam if a certain wavelength?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Nerdydude101
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
I want to output a specific wavelength of infrared light, I believe the wavelength was 9.25nm, how hard would that be and how would I proceed?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the wavelength was 9.25nm and not 925nm? The factor of 100 makes difference...
The latter is IR and something you could potentially get from a diode, the former is way up in the UV range and would be very difficult (and potentially dangerous) to generate.
 
I'm trying to find the glucose in the bloodstream, this is the best description I got but other articles say similar things
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2009-02/1235057498.Bc.r.html
 
The article says 9.25 mm...not mm. That is in the microwave regime, so not very difficult if you have the equipment(a microwave generator)
 
wouldn't microwaves be harmful to a human because of the way they spin water molecules?
 
Nerdydude101 said:
wouldn't microwaves be harmful to a human because of the way they spin water molecules?

Only if the power output is high enough to burn someone.
 
Drakkith said:
Only if the power output is high enough to burn someone.

its not just about the power level

even low power microwave signals are dangerous in a confined area or high gain antenna
1 Watt of 24 GHz out the end of a waveguide definitely burns skin in close proximity in a few seconds or so and that would be even more damaging to sensitive body areas like eyes

The OP is talking about 9.5 mm wavelength, ~ 31 GHz a significantly high microwave freq
I haven't operated any gear above 24GHz

cheers
Dave