How hard would it be to output a stable beam if a certain wavelength?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in generating a specific wavelength of infrared light, with one person suggesting it may be difficult and potentially dangerous. The conversation then shifts to discussing the potential harm of microwaves on humans and the effects on water molecules. The conversation concludes with one person stating that even low power microwave signals can be dangerous in certain situations.
Nerdydude101
I want to output a specific wavelength of infrared light, I believe the wavelength was 9.25nm, how hard would that be and how would I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the wavelength was 9.25nm and not 925nm? The factor of 100 makes difference...
The latter is IR and something you could potentially get from a diode, the former is way up in the UV range and would be very difficult (and potentially dangerous) to generate.

I'm trying to find the glucose in the bloodstream, this is the best description I got but other articles say similar things
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2009-02/1235057498.Bc.r.html

The article says 9.25 mm...not mm. That is in the microwave regime, so not very difficult if you have the equipment(a microwave generator)

wouldn't microwaves be harmful to a human because of the way they spin water molecules?

Nerdydude101 said:
wouldn't microwaves be harmful to a human because of the way they spin water molecules?

Only if the power output is high enough to burn someone.

Drakkith said:
Only if the power output is high enough to burn someone.

its not just about the power level

even low power microwave signals are dangerous in a confined area or high gain antenna
1 Watt of 24 GHz out the end of a waveguide definitely burns skin in close proximity in a few seconds or so and that would be even more damaging to sensitive body areas like eyes

The OP is talking about 9.5 mm wavelength, ~ 31 GHz a significantly high microwave freq
I haven't operated any gear above 24GHz

cheers
Dave

1. How does the wavelength affect the stability of a beam?

The wavelength of a beam can greatly impact its stability. Generally, shorter wavelengths have a higher frequency and therefore more energy. This can make it more difficult to maintain a stable beam as the energy can cause fluctuations and disruptions.

2. What factors determine the stability of a beam at a certain wavelength?

The stability of a beam at a certain wavelength is determined by various factors such as the quality of the optical components, environmental conditions, and the precision of the equipment used to generate and maintain the beam.

3. Is it easier to output a stable beam at shorter or longer wavelengths?

It is generally easier to output a stable beam at longer wavelengths. This is because longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and therefore less energy, making it easier to control and maintain a stable beam.

4. Can the stability of a beam be improved by adjusting the wavelength?

In some cases, adjusting the wavelength can improve the stability of a beam. However, it is not always a solution as other factors such as the ones mentioned above also play a significant role in the stability of a beam.

5. How can one ensure a stable beam at a specific wavelength?

To ensure a stable beam at a specific wavelength, it is important to use high-quality optical components, maintain a controlled environment, and use precise equipment. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of the equipment can also help maintain a stable beam at a specific wavelength.