How important is FE exam, really?

In summary: You should take the FE if you want to get a job in engineering. However, if you're not planning on getting a PE license, it's not necessary.
asd1249jf
Our school requires the students to take FE exam before you graduate. I mean, of course, it would be helpful if you become a licensed engineer, but our school puts it as if you cannot get a job without passing the FE exam, which probably isn't true.

Having that said,

1)How important is FE exam? How would it help getting me a job (I am a computer engineer)?

2)I heard there are two FE exams (FE I, FE II). What are the differences?

3)What are the disadvantages of not taking FE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If one has the opportunity to take the FE, then do so. As one gets into a professional career, it becomes more difficult to find time to do it.

Uniformity among state licensure laws is a goal that most engineering societies have been working toward for many years. A model law has been developed and has been used as a guide for almost 40 years. Currently, the majority of states require that a candidate pass an eight-hour Fundamentals of Engineering written exam (the FE exam), and the eight-hour Principles and Practice of Engineering exam in the applicant's discipline.
Many jobs in engineering require a PE, and the FE is the first step.

One can get a job without an FE, but having it opens up more opportunities.

My department (Nuc E) encouraged students to do the PE during grad school.

l46kok said:
Our school requires the students to take FE exam before you graduate. I mean, of course, it would be helpful if you become a licensed engineer, but our school puts it as if you cannot get a job without passing the FE exam, which probably isn't true.

That certainly is not true. In fact, for computer engineers, a job that requires a PE license is incredibly rare.

I took the FE, but I don't think I'll ever go for my PE because you need to work under someone who has a PE for about three years before you can take the next PE test! I've never met anyone in industry (I'm an EE) that has their PE, so I would actively have to search every company I work at to find someone with a PE and try to work under them.

However, I should mention that grad school counts as experience towards the PE. I think an MS was one or two years out of three, but I don't remember for sure.

If you want to go into private consulting, you need to have your PE. I don't know your career goals, but consider that. Also, I believe that your school makes all engineers take the FE exam because it looks good for them if they have a high passing rate.

You have to work under someone who is a PE to qualify? I thought it was you just had to work for 2-3 years then you could take it, assuming you pass the FE>

user101 said:
You have to work under someone who is a PE to qualify? I thought it was you just had to work for 2-3 years then you could take it, assuming you pass the FE>

It varies from state to state. I know that in Texas you just need 4 years experience and recommendations from 3 currently licensed PEs.

user101 said:

It varies by state.

l46kok said:
1)How important is FE exam? How would it help getting me a job (I am a computer engineer)?

2)I heard there are two FE exams (FE I, FE II). What are the differences?

3)What are the disadvantages of not taking FE?

In my experience (I am the most senior engineer in my department):
1) If you get the chance take it. If you don't, it probably doesn't matter for most engineering jobs. I work with engineers at GE, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce and Honeywell (jet engine manufacturers) and I don't think I know more than 2-3 licensed PEs. Our industry doesn't care. I didn't take it but I have never had much of the content on the test (BS is in Math)

2) ?

3) Some jobs require a PE license and you need the FE to buy an admission ticket to the test. If you don't take it now, you won't have time to study those parts you don't use so that you can pass the FE test.

Let me get this straight... so FE by itself is completely useless, and if you want to get something out of the test you take, you should take PE as well?

l46kok said:
Let me get this straight... so FE by itself is completely useless, and if you want to get something out of the test you take, you should take PE as well?

Well, it's also a pre-req for the Patent Bar Exam. :redface:

1. How important is the FE exam for my career?

The FE exam is extremely important for your career as a scientist. It is the first step towards becoming a licensed professional engineer, which can open up many job opportunities and increase your earning potential. It also shows potential employers that you have a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles.

2. Do I need to take the FE exam if I already have a degree in engineering?

Yes, even if you have a degree in engineering, taking the FE exam is still necessary in order to become a licensed professional engineer. It is a requirement in most states and is seen as a measure of your competence and expertise in the field.

3. How does the FE exam benefit me as a scientist?

The FE exam is not only beneficial for your career, but also for your personal and professional growth as a scientist. It tests your knowledge and skills in a wide range of engineering topics, allowing you to identify your strengths and weaknesses. It also demonstrates your commitment to your profession and can boost your confidence in your abilities.

4. Is it possible to pass the FE exam without studying?

While some individuals may have a strong background in engineering and be able to pass the exam without studying, it is not recommended. The FE exam covers a broad range of topics and requires a thorough understanding of fundamental concepts. It is important to dedicate time and effort to studying in order to increase your chances of passing the exam.

5. What if I fail the FE exam?

Failing the FE exam does not mean the end of your career as a scientist. You are allowed to retake the exam multiple times, and many individuals do not pass on their first attempt. Use the opportunity to identify areas where you need to improve and focus on studying those topics before attempting the exam again. With determination and hard work, you can pass the FE exam and continue on your path to becoming a licensed professional engineer.