1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How is energy stored in these fields?

1. Sep 16, 2018 at 7:38 AM #1
    How is energy stored in the following fields, please give an example for each field:

1. Electric field
    2. Magnetic field
    3. Gravitational field

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2018 at 9:34 AM #2

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. Consider a capacitor of capacitance C. The energy required to charge the capacitor to charge ##Q_0## is the energy that will be stored in the e-field between its plates. Why it is required energy to charge from charge 0 to charge ##Q_0##? Consider a capacitor that is already charged at charge ##q## and we want to charge it to charge ##q+dq##. Therefore we have to do work against the E-field that exists between its plates to transfer charge +dq from the negative plate to the positive plate and this work is ##dW=Vdq=\frac{q}{C}dq## . So the total work done to charge it from 0 to charge ##Q_0## is ##W=\int dW=\int_0^{Q_0}\frac{q}{C}dq=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q_0^2}{C}## and this work is stored as E-field energy in the E-field between its plates.
    2. Consider an inductor of inductance L. The energy required to "charge" the inductor to current ##I_0## is the energy that will be stored in the magnetic field inside the turns of the coil. Energy is required because we know that an inductor "resists" a change to its current from ##I## to ##I+dI## (due to Lenz's law). The work required to change the current from ##I## to ##I+dI## is ##dW=VIdt=L\frac{dI}{dt}Idt=LIdI## so the total work required is ##W=\int dW=\int_0^{I_0}LIdI=\frac{1}{2}LI_0^2##.

4. Sep 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Please post homework and homework type questions in the homework sections, and use the template.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook