Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is instantaneous power adjusted in the electrical grid?

1. Jan 14, 2017 #1

ORF

Hello

I didn't find a similar question, but if it's redundant, please erase this thread.

The instant electrical power is not constant (because of the consumption and of the production). So, how the instant power is adjusted in the electrical grid?

There is a similar entry, but it has several open questions:
    -> I have heard that in case of surplus, the electrical power is derived to ground, but this seems weird to me. Is it true?
    -> They talk about the speed of the electrical power; how fast is the electrical power transfer? (post10).

Thank you in advance :)

Greetings.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

@anorlunda wrote an insights article about AC networks. On the timescale of seconds, the generators in power plants act as flywheels. Over longer timescales, various power plants regulate their power, especially hydro and gas power plants can quickly switch on/off.

4. Jan 14, 2017 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

5. Jan 14, 2017 #4

ORF

@mfb: Oh, I didn't notice that article. Thank you :)

Just to keep in mind some number... what is the electrical power speed for a typical electrical grid? (I don't know the typical parameters of reactance and resistance for an electrical grid)

@cnh1995: thank you for the thread. I'm not an electrical engineer, so it's a bit harder for me following it.

6. Jan 14, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The propagation speed for changes in voltages in cables is typically 2/3 c. The effective speed can be different in complex networks.

7. Jan 14, 2017 #6

ORF

Ok, thank you :)

The last stupid question of the thread (I promise): the speed of electrical power transfer is the same as the speed for changes in voltages?

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct.

9. Jan 14, 2017 #8

ORF

10. Jan 14, 2017 #9

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted