How is it possible to use only 1000 W to transfer 10,000 BTU/h?

In summary, it is possible to transfer energy using electrical energy, but it takes more work than it does to create heat from the electrical energy.
maudzked
TL;DR Summary
How can one machine only consume 3,600,000 joules of electrical energy to transfer 10,550,560 joules of heat energy without broke the laws of thermodynamics?
Hi,

I was reading a newspaper article on the energy efficiency of commonly used air conditioners in homes. Then a doubt arose when the article informed me that there are air conditioners that have an energy efficiency of 10 BTU/watt. That means a classic 10,000 BTU/h air conditioning machine will consume only 1,000 watt of electrical power during that amount of time.

Using joule as unit for both, this means that in 1 hour the machine will only consume 3,600,000 joules of electrical energy to transfer 10,550,560 joules of "heat energy" from my room to the outside.

I noticed that the machine is not creating heat from the electrical energy, but transferring the energy using electrical energy. But I am still in doubt about how is it possible. How can I get a zero-sum from that? How is this possible without violating the laws of thermodynamics?

Sorry for english mistakes and thank you for trying to help me to think about this question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
maudzked said:
I was reading a newspaper article on the energy efficiency of commonly used air conditioners in homes. Then a doubt arose when the article informed me that there are air conditioners that have an energy efficiency of 10 BTU/watt. That means a classic 10,000 BTU/h air conditioning machine will consume only 1,000 watt of electrical power during that amount of time.

Using joule as unit for both, this means that in 1 hour the machine will only consume 3,600,000 joules of electrical energy to transfer 10,550,560 joules of "heat energy" from my room to the outside.

I noticed that the machine is not creating heat from the electrical energy, but transferring the energy using electrical energy. But I am still in doubt about how is it possible. How can I get a zero-sum from that? How is this possible without violating the laws of thermodynamics?
How much work does it take to pick up a bucket of water and move it 10m to your left? What if it is a bucket of ice - does it take more energy to move it? So is the energy required to move heat well connected to the amount of heat you are moving?

• Informative
Likes Dullard and anorlunda

1. How can 1000 W transfer 10,000 BTU/h?

The conversion between watts and BTU/h is based on the energy efficiency of the system. In this case, the system is designed to efficiently transfer heat energy, allowing for a smaller amount of power (1000 W) to produce a larger amount of heat energy (10,000 BTU/h).

2. Is this possible without any external factors?

Yes, it is possible to transfer 10,000 BTU/h using only 1000 W without any external factors. This is based on the design and efficiency of the system, which allows for effective heat transfer without the need for additional energy sources.

3. How does this compare to other heating methods?

Compared to other heating methods, using 1000 W to transfer 10,000 BTU/h is relatively efficient. It requires less power and energy consumption, making it a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly option.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of this system?

The efficiency of the system is affected by various factors, such as the design and materials used, the temperature difference between the heat source and the transfer medium, and the insulation of the system. These factors can impact the heat transfer rate and the overall efficiency of the system.

5. Can this technology be used in different applications?

Yes, this technology can be used in various applications, such as heating and cooling systems, refrigeration, and industrial processes. As long as the system is designed and optimized for efficient heat transfer, it can be applied in different settings and industries.