How is light affected by the gravity of a black hole?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Oliver3.141
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello! I am new to this forum, but I'll give it a shot.
It is my understanding that photons have no mass- but that light is still pulled by the gravity of a black hole. How can something without a mass, and therefore, gravity, be pulled by the gravity of another object? Any insight would be appreciated. I am still just beginning in my physics education, so please correct any errors I have made.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oliver3.141 welcome to PF,

In general relativity (the theory that describes this) gravity comes from the fact that energy and momentum and pressure all curve spacetime. Light travels through spacetime, so its path can be influenced by gravity. Also, light has energy and momentum and pressure, so it can produce gravity too.