1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is pi generated?

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    I was thinking about this recently since it was pi a few days ago :) How is pi, the number, generated in a way that can go on forever? How are extra characters discovered? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    We usually use an infinite series that converges to pi or some other iterative method.

For example arctan(x) = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - x^7/7 + ... up to infinity. If x=1 then arctan(1) = pi/4 so you can see that you could calculate pi in such a way. The problem is that this infinite series converges (approaches) pi very slowly. What this means is that you need to add a lot of terms before the number starts to look like pi.

Currently, there are much better infinite series to use for example: http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RamanujansFormulaForPi.html [Broken] is a much better infinite series to use to calculate pi.

Typically the computations are done, well, by computers that are able of doing calculations very fast. I think that currently pi has been calculated to like 10 billion digits or something ridiculous like that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
  6. Mar 17, 2010 #5
    Is there a way to calculate the number of the nth digit without expanding out pi?

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. Mar 17, 2010 #7
    ^ Yes! That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook