1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is the integral expression for contact time derived?

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, this is not an assignment question, but I am terribly stuck with this.

While going through the derivation of contact time for a hertzian contact as given in problem 3 at the following link http://s17.postimg.org/t1kq6mlxr/Capture.png , I am not able to understand how the integral form for contact time has come into picture. I understand that the twice the integral of displacement over velocity from x=0 to x=x0 gives the total contact time. But can anyone please explain the in-between steps to get the same (how did the 1/sqrt(1-(x/x0)^5/2) come about? I understand that this is a very trivial problem but it will be a great help to understand the steps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have an equation of the form
    [tex] \left( \frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + c\, x^{5/2} = K [/tex]
    so
    [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{K -c\, x^{5/2}}[/tex]
    (assuming ##dx >0##), hence
    [tex] dt = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{K -c\, x^{5/2}}} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted