1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long will it take an electromagnetic wave to reach a satellite

1. Jul 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

GPS determines your distance from a satellite by measuring how long it takes an electromagnetic wave to travel from the satellite to you. Imagine that a satellite is located at a distance of 127.2km and is moving away from you at a speed of 12.0km/s.
    a)how long will it take an electromagnetic wave emitted by the satellite to reach you?
    b)if the frequency of the wave emitted by the satellite is precisely 10.0 GHz, what is the frequency difference between this frequency and the frequency that you observe?

2. Relevant equations

fo=fs(1+/-vrel/c) if vrel<<c

3. The attempt at a solution

d=127.2km=127.2*103m
    v=12km/s=12*103m/s
    fs= 10GHz= 10*10^9Hz
    c=3.00*108m/s

Part A: 10.6 seconds
    Part B:

f0=10*109 Hz (1-(12*103m/s/3.00*108m/s))=10*109 Hz

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For Part A, don't you think the time will have rather more to do with the speed of light than the speed of the satellite? For Part B, don't you think keeping more accuracy in the answer might be useful?

4. Jul 10, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In addition to the problems pointed out in post #2 you have the wrong formula for the Doppler shift.

It's based on the theory of relativity so don't try to derive it. Look it up.

5. Jul 10, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on how much accuracy you need. It certainly doesn't matter if you round to the nearest GHz, like aChordate. But if I use the nonrelativistic formula and compare the results with the relativistic the frequency shifts are the same to 4 decimal places.

6. Jul 10, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt that the OP was aware of that. In any case, he/she might as well use the correct formula in case a future problem involves speeds closer to c.

EDIT: I have to admit that, if the emphasis was on satellites, the OP might never encounter the relativisic formula, so on second thoughts I think you were right to point out what you did.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted