Relative velocity of Electromagnetic waves

In summary, the correct formula for calculating relative velocity using observed and source frequencies is Vrel = [(F(observed) - F(Source))/F(Source)] * c. The mistake in the conversation was a typo where a 2 was mistakenly added in the denominator. The correct answer for the given example is 6.724 * 10^6 m/s. This formula is used to calculate the relative velocity of a distant source based on the difference in observed and source frequencies.
Eng67
I have a problem that I cannot get the correct answer.

An Astronomer observes electromagnetic waves emmitted by oxygen atoms in a distant galaxy that have a frequency of 5.71 *10^14 Hz. On earth, oxygen atoms emit waves that have a freq. of 5.841 *10^14. What is the relative velocity of the galaxy with respect to the astronomer on earth.

Vrel = [(F(observed) - F(Source))/(2*F(Source))] * c

Vrel = [(5.710*10^14 - 5.841*10^14)/(2*5.841*10^14)] * (3.00 *10^8)

answer = 3.3641 *10^6 m/s

What is wrong with my calculations?

The correct answer is 6.724 * 10^6 m/s

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice your answer is off by a factor of 1/2. Recheck the formula you used and you'll see there should be a 2 in the denominator.

By the way- your title, "Relative velocity of Electromagnetic waves", is very misleading! Obviously the velocity of electromagnetic waves (light) is, relative to anything, the speed of light, c. What you see different from another observer is the frequency which is what allows you to calculate the velocity of the source relative to you.

This formula already has the 2 in the denominator. To get the correct answer, It would need to be 4*F(Source)?

I cannot find anything to support this.

Eng67 said:
This formula already has the 2 in the denominator. To get the correct answer, It would need to be 4*F(Source)?
I cannot find anything to support this.
I mistyped, obviously I meant there shouldn't be a two in the denominator. Check your reference.

Thanks.

I finally found the correct reference for this formula. Many sources have this listed differently.

What is relative velocity of electromagnetic waves?

The relative velocity of electromagnetic waves is the speed at which these waves move in relation to a specific frame of reference. In other words, it is the speed at which the waves are observed from a particular point of view.

How is the relative velocity of electromagnetic waves calculated?

The relative velocity of electromagnetic waves is calculated by taking the difference between the speed of light, which is a constant and the speed of the observer or the source of the waves, in the same direction. This calculation is based on the principle of relativity.

What factors affect the relative velocity of electromagnetic waves?

The relative velocity of electromagnetic waves can be affected by the motion of the source or observer, the medium through which the waves are traveling, and any gravitational fields present in the environment. These factors can either increase or decrease the relative velocity of the waves.

Can relative velocity of electromagnetic waves be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Therefore, the relative velocity of electromagnetic waves cannot exceed the speed of light.

Why is the study of relative velocity of electromagnetic waves important?

The study of relative velocity of electromagnetic waves is important because it helps us understand the behavior of these waves in different frames of reference. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and navigation, where precise calculations of the relative velocity of electromagnetic waves are necessary.