Will my job developing VOIP applications last forever?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the software the author works on has been around since the 1980s, but the author hates bugs and makes changes to the software even after they are close to finishing. The author tries to say it many times, but the company he works for does not listen.
rootX
I developed applications for a VOIP company (registering users, provisioning,... etc). I have finished all my work withing 4 months but every time I am close to finish (like after working days on implementing some functionality), my employer changes his mind and decides not to have that functionality / get something new for implementation.

It seems like it would last forever! :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the world of software ...

Hey, at least you get paid right?

G01 said:
Hey, at least you get paid right?

yep! :approve:

But, it's definitely not nice to make those changes :grumpy:
And, I hate bugs :frown::grumpy::cry:

I wonder if all engineering jobs are like that? (Just after you finished something, boss comes and ask for changes)

rootX said:
yep! :approve:

But, it's definitely not nice to make those changes :grumpy:
And, I hate bugs :frown::grumpy::cry:

I wonder if all engineering jobs are like that? (Just after you finished something, boss comes and ask for changes)

Didn't you get the memo about the cover sheets on the new TPS reports? :confused:

Cyrus said:
Didn't you get the memo about the cover sheets on the new TPS reports? :confused:

lol, I am not working for that big company! :rofl:
It's just one person and his wife managing the entire thing (they have other jobs and manage this as part time).

So, it's just me who do all planning, implementation, and testing. He helps me understanding the specifications and performs end to end testing. It was actually pretty cool job because all my other friends were workings as QA's (boring ... but less responsibility and headaches)

rootX said:
lol, I am not working for that big company! :rofl:
It's just one person and his wife managing the entire thing (they have other jobs and manage this as part time).

So, it's just me who do all planning, implementation, and testing. He helps me understanding the specifications and performs end to end testing. It was actually pretty cool job because all my other friends were workings as QA's (boring ... but less responsibility and headaches)

...yeahhhhh......

See, the thing is, we're putting new cover sheets on all our new TPS reports. So if you could do that from now on, that would be greattt.

Software means never having to say you are finished.

wildman said:
Software means never having to say you are finished.

Yep! :rofl:

I tried to say it many times ..:cry:

<he said some company has been working on this software for over 10 years>

The software I work on has been around since the 1980s. Military software lasts forever.

1. How does job security impact the length of my job?

Job security is a major factor in determining the length of your job. Jobs that offer high levels of job security, such as tenured positions or government jobs, are more likely to last longer compared to jobs with lower levels of security, such as contract or freelance work.

2. What factors influence the longevity of a job?

Several factors can influence the length of a job, including the industry, company stability, economic conditions, and your job performance. Jobs in industries that are growing and have a stable market tend to last longer, while jobs in declining industries may have a shorter lifespan.

3. Can I predict how long my job will last?

While there is no way to accurately predict the exact length of a job, understanding the current state of the company and industry, as well as your own job performance, can give you an idea of the potential longevity of your job.

4. How can I increase the chances of my job lasting longer?

To increase the chances of your job lasting longer, you can focus on improving your skills and staying up-to-date with industry trends. Additionally, building good relationships with your colleagues and superiors can also contribute to a longer job tenure.

5. What should I do if I am concerned about the length of my job?

If you are concerned about the length of your job, it is important to have open and honest communication with your employer. Discuss your concerns and ask for feedback on how you can improve your job performance and potentially secure a longer job tenure. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a backup plan in case the job does not last as long as expected.