Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long will my job last?

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    I developed applications for a VOIP company (registering users, provisioning,... etc). I have finished all my work withing 4 months but every time I am close to finish (like after working days on implementing some functionality), my employer changes his mind and decides not to have that functionality / get something new for implementation.

It seems like it would last forever! :rofl:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the world of software ......
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey, at least you get paid right?
  5. Aug 28, 2008 #4
    yep! :approve:

But, it's definitely not nice to make those changes :grumpy:
    And, I hate bugs :frown::grumpy::cry:

I wonder if all engineering jobs are like that? (Just after you finished something, boss comes and ask for changes)
  6. Aug 28, 2008 #5
    Didn't you get the memo about the cover sheets on the new TPS reports? :confused:
  7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    lol, I am not working for that big company! :rofl:
    It's just one person and his wife managing the entire thing (they have other jobs and manage this as part time).

So, it's just me who do all planning, implementation, and testing. He helps me understanding the specifications and performs end to end testing. It was actually pretty cool job because all my other friends were workings as QA's (boring ... but less responsibility and headaches)
  8. Aug 28, 2008 #7

See, the thing is, we're putting new cover sheets on all our new TPS reports. So if you could do that from now on, that would be greattt.
  9. Aug 28, 2008 #8
    Software means never having to say you are finished.
  10. Aug 28, 2008 #9
    Yep! :rofl:

I tried to say it many times ..:cry:

<he said some company has been working on this software for over 10 years>
  11. Aug 28, 2008 #10
    The software I work on has been around since the 1980s. Military software lasts forever.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?