HOw many committees can be formed with at most 5 members?

• Thread starter diceyfume
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, the conversation is about forming committees with at most 5 members and the correct approach to solving the problem. The speaker provides a hint to utilize the multiplication principle and explains the reasoning behind it. They also clarify that the committee members have the same function and the difference between this scenario and a scenario where the speaker's approach would be correct. The final answer is determined to be 31 committees in total.
diceyfume
any one help me...
HOw many committees can be formed with at most 5 members?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the 5-man committe include all the persons we could choose from?

yes, could you tell me how many? and how did you get the answer?

diceyfume said:
yes, could you tell me how many? and how did you get the answer?

Nope. Instead, try to write down how you should approach the problem, identify your particlur difficulties, THEN I'll come to your rescue.

That holds for your other thread as well.

oh come on... i don't know how... pls help me Mr. Arildno...

A hint:
Either a guy is on the committee, or he is not.
That holds for each guy!

Try to think what this implies.

could it be 5 committees?

diceyfume said:
could it be 5 committees?

No.

Try to apply the multiplication principle instead!

It is easiest first to think of "the committe with 0 members" as a committee itself when setting up the calculation; when you have done that, just subtract one for your answer.

4 committees..

This won't work, diceyfume.

You are obviously refusing to utilize your intellect, and are only interested in being spoonfed "answers".

I strongly advise you to quit maths, because your attitude makes you incompetent in it.

i guess i know the answer... 5*4*3*2*1
120 is the answer?

Not quite, but a definite improvement! :smile:

Sorry about my prior annoyance at you; I hope you will continue to visit PF in the future.

Try to think about this problem in another way:

Call the 5 persons A,B,C,D,E.

We are to form a committee out of these, where the committe can consist of 1 to 5 persons.

Either, A is included in the committe, or not (2 classes of committees thereby delineated)

Similarly with the four others.

Thus, one might think the answer should be:

2*2*2*2*2=32 different comittees, but one of those committees consists of no members at all!

Thus, the correct answer must be 32-1=31 committees in total.

Now, you might wonder: Why is your approach wrong?
Suppose you have the following case:
Exactly 5 places exist on the comittee, and each place has a unique function
(say, chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, accountant and public relations guy).

In this case, say we elect in this order:
Then, there are 5 different possibilities for chairman, once he has been chosen, 4 different choices for vice-chairman (yielding 5*4=20 different two-man groups) and so on.

In this case, your answer would be the correct one!

But, that is not at all what is presupposed in this exercise!
First off, committees can be of VARIABLE size.
Secondly, each committee member has basically the same function as any other.

Thus, this is a totally different scenario from the case in which your calculations would be correct.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
thanks again...

1. How do you determine the number of committees that can be formed with at most 5 members?

The number of committees that can be formed with at most 5 members can be determined by using the combination formula. The formula is nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of members and r is the number of members in each committee.

2. Is there a limit to the number of committees that can be formed with at most 5 members?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of committees that can be formed with at most 5 members. This limit is determined by the total number of members available and the number of members needed for each committee. If the total number of members is less than the required number of members for each committee, then there will be fewer committees that can be formed.

3. Can a committee have fewer than 5 members?

Yes, a committee can have fewer than 5 members. The question states that the committee can have at most 5 members, meaning it can have 5 members or less. This also depends on the total number of members available and the number of members needed for each committee.

4. How does the number of committees change if there are more members available?

If there are more members available, the number of committees that can be formed with at most 5 members will also increase. This is because there will be more options for the number of members in each committee, leading to a higher number of possible combinations.

5. Can a committee have more than 5 members?

No, a committee cannot have more than 5 members if the question specifies that there can be at most 5 members. This means that 5 members is the maximum number of members allowed in each committee. However, if the question does not specify a limit, then a committee can have more than 5 members depending on the total number of members available and the number of members needed for each committee.