1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many homomorphisms are there

1. May 15, 2006 #1

JFo

How many homomorphisms are there from [itex]S_5[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex]?

Well there is at least one, the trivial homomorphism, ie: every element of S_5 gets mapped to 0.

I have a feeling that this is the only homomorphism but am having trouble proving that no other homomorphism could exist. Any suggestions?

I know that every nonzero element of Z_5 has order of 5, and for a non-trivial homomorphism to exist, there needs to be some element of S_5 (not equal to the identity) that gets mapped to a nonzero element of Z_5.

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2
    I believe that there are other homomorphisms. Think about the subgroups of S_5. Does it have any cyclic subgroups of order 5?

SBRH

4. May 15, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But that only gives you a map in the other direction: from the cyclic group into the permutation group.

What are the generators of S_5?

5. May 15, 2006 #4
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I just realized my silly mistake and came back to announce its sillyness!

Ignore my previous reply.

SBRH

6. May 15, 2006 #5

JFo

Im thinking the generators of S_5 are all the transpositions of S_5. Is this correct?

Im working out a proof, here's what I have so far:

proof:
    Let [itex] \phi : \mbox{S}_5 \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_5[/itex] be a nontrivial homomorphism. Now [itex] |\phi(\mbox{S}_5)| [/itex] divides [itex]|\mathbb{Z}_5|[/itex], and thus must be 1 or 5. It can't be 1 since phi is nontrivial and thus must be 5, hence phi is onto.
    Let H = Ker([itex]\phi[/itex]). We can form the factor group [itex]\mbox{S}_5 / H[/itex] which is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex]. This implies that [itex]|H| = 24 [/itex]. So for each element x of Z_5 there are 24 distinct elements of S_5 that map to x.

Ok Im stuck again

7. May 15, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. Every element of S_5 is a product of transpositions.

Are there any 24-element subgroups of S_5? Normal ones?

8. May 15, 2006 #7

JFo

No. There are no 24-element subgroups of S_5 that are normal. Thanks much for your help Hurkyl!
    I was wondering.. is there a way, say if your looking at a subgroup diagram of S_n for some n, to tell whether a given subgroup of S_n is normal?

Also, is there a way to figure out which subgroups are conjugate without computing every conjugation of that group?

9. May 15, 2006 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Incidentally, looking at the generators is just as easy. What is the image of any transposition?

(I would have said easier, but I suppose if you really understand this stuff, knowing that there are no 24-element subgroups of S_n is probably of comparable difficulty)

Isn't it the case that A_n is the only normal subgroup of S_n, for n > 4?

10. May 16, 2006 #9

JFo

I suppose if [itex] \tau [/itex] is a transpostion, then [itex] \tau^2 = i[/itex], thus [itex]\phi(i) = \phi(\tau^2) = \phi(\tau)^2 = 0[/itex]. This implies [itex]\phi(\tau) = 0[/itex] since there are no nonzero elements of order 2 in Z_5. Ahhh... this then implies that that all of S_5 gets mapped to 0 since every permutation can be written as a product of transpositions and phi is a homomorphism. Is this the correct reasoning?

You're right, this is an easier solution.
    Thanks again for your help!

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  11. May 16, 2006 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is the line of thinking I originally had. (Until I was inspired by your computation of |H|)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?