How many hours studying for EE major?

In summary, the speaker is a new international student in the USA with an associate degree in Electronics and communication engineering. They are currently taking core courses at a community college and need to decide on a major. They are concerned about the amount of time required for engineering courses and are seeking advice on how to manage their time as a married student. Suggestions include considering a half-load of courses and adjusting as necessary, as well as estimating the amount of study time required for a full load.
nnk4006
Hi all..
I am new here in USA...i have my associate degree from my country in Electronics and communication engineering...
Right now i am taking classes from community college just core courses...now its time to decide Major but i am confuse, so many people tell me that in engineering u have to do hard work up to 14 hours constantly per day but i can not give that much time because i am married...
so anyone tell me that this is true that you have to give 14 to 16 hours per day in this course?
give me your suggestions...

Engineering news on Phys.org
nnk4006 said:
Hi all..
I am new here in USA...i have my associate degree from my country in Electronics and communication engineering...
Right now i am taking classes from community college just core courses...now its time to decide Major but i am confuse, so many people tell me that in engineering u have to do hard work up to 14 hours constantly per day but i can not give that much time because i am married...
so anyone tell me that this is true that you have to give 14 to 16 hours per day in this course?
give me your suggestions...

It would depend on how many classes you are taking and your learning abilities (i.e. how fast you pick up the concepts). 14 to 16 hours seems really high. Are you counting classroom hours and study/homework time?

For example if you take a full load (4 courses per semester) then you have about 12 hours per week in the classroom (plus or minus a couple hours), so let say 14 to be safe. That gives you 14 hrs divided by 5 days per week ~3 hrs per day. Then you add in 1 or 2 hours a day per class to do homework and study which gives you 2 hours times 4 courses = 8 hours per day (or 4 if you use 1 hour per course). Hence 8 hours + 3 hours = 11 hours per day net.

I think I did that right! At any rate, you get the idea.

Hope that helps.

CS

You might want to consider taking a half-load of courses, if study time is going to be an issue. I took a full load (full time student, not married), and I studied an average of 40-60 hours per week outside of class time. There were plenty of folks who studied less than that while taking a full load, but only a few of those got better grades than I did.

Maybe start out taking a half-load of classes, and adjust that up or down as you get a feel for how your time scheduling is going.

1. How many hours should I study for my EE major?

The number of hours you should study for your EE major will vary depending on your individual learning style and the difficulty of your coursework. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of class time.

2. Is studying for an EE major more time-consuming than other majors?

EE majors typically require a significant amount of time and effort due to the complex and technical nature of the subject matter. It is often considered one of the most challenging majors, so it is important to be prepared to devote a substantial amount of time to studying.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for my EE major?

To manage your time effectively while studying for your EE major, it is important to create a schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your tasks, break them down into smaller, manageable chunks, and take frequent breaks to avoid burnout. It is also helpful to eliminate distractions and create a designated study space.

4. Can I still maintain a social life while studying for an EE major?

While studying for an EE major can be time-consuming, it is still possible to maintain a social life. It is important to find a balance between your studies and social activities. Prioritize your responsibilities and make time for both your academic and social life.

5. Should I study for my EE major every day?

It is generally recommended to study for your EE major every day, even if it is just for a short amount of time. This will help you stay on top of your coursework and better retain the information you are learning. However, it is also important to give yourself breaks and not overexert yourself. Listen to your body and take breaks when needed.