How many names does your dog have?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, Duke recognizes many alternate names and responds to them with a tone of voice that is different for each name.
turbo
Gold Member
Duke has many alternate names, and he recognizes them.

Duke
Dukus, the pukeus with the mucus
Dukie
Dukie-dog
Stinky
Donkey-butt (my wife thinks that he has a Shrek donkey-butt)
Donks
Coma-dog
whiney boy
Pooper

He has many more, too, and he responds to them. When I speak to him, he looks me in the eyes. He knows that I'm addressing him, no matter what I call him.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, same thing here, different names though. But I think it's not so much the name that he reacts too but more the tone of voice. Dogs are total experts in human body language and can detect minute differences that we can't. That's why they are our best friends, they totally figured us out long ago. :) So, in a sense they are a lot smarter than we are... ;)

I don't own a dog, but my parents do. Their dog is named Reeses (chololate lab, get it?).

aka.
Reesey
Reese
Reesey-girl
Reeter-roo
Roo-dog
Rooter

I think that's about it.

Our (periodic) neighbors from MA have an older rescue dog named Rhody and a young chocolate Lab pup named Moose. I call him names like "swamp donkey". He doesn't seem to mind, since every time he rushes me, I have to brace for impact.

My animals always *evolve* through names until the one that fits best just sort of "sticks". My dog Ricco was best known as the "Fruit Bat".

My wife's Great Pyrenees (140 lbs) is named Loki, but I call him "monster dog" (because of the size) and "idiot" (because of the drool).

He is my avatar.

Daisy
Crazy Daisy
Lazy Daisy
Digger Daisy
Looney Tooney
Dog from hell

Get off of my chair or I will stick your tail in the paper shredder Daisy

qo6rnd.jpg

Suzy (real name),
Rooty,
Roo,
Roohay,
Shmoosy,
Raspy,
Snoozy,
Dog.

She's a yellow Lab so her goofy faces call for goofy names.

Last edited:
I originally named my dog Jack, and that slowly got changed to JFK, and my wife named her dog Eleanor, which got changed to Ellie, then to E, then to puppy and then to dog. Quite a regression if I say so myself...

Eddie
Edisto
Eddington
Edders
Eddles
Ed!
Freak-dog
Dammit Ed!
NO! Bad Dog!

That's not my dog.

1. How many names does your dog have?

My dog has one name, which is the name I have given them. However, some people may choose to give their dog multiple nicknames or titles.

2. Do you have different names for your dog for different occasions?

No, my dog only has one name and it is used for all occasions.

3. Can you change your dog's name?

Yes, it is possible to change a dog's name, but it may take time for them to adjust to the new name.

4. How do you come up with a name for your dog?

Some people choose a name based on their dog's appearance, personality, or breed. Others may choose a name that has a special meaning to them.

5. Do dogs respond to their names?

Yes, dogs can learn and respond to their names just like humans do. It is important to use their name consistently when training and communicating with them.