Number of Paths on 5x5 Chessboard: Solve the Puzzle!

• Thread starter westgrant88
  • Start date
In summary, for an 8x8 chessboard, there are \displaystyle \binom{14}{7} possible pathways for moving a nickel from the lower left corner to the upper right corner, given that the nickel can only move one square at a time and either to the right or up. For a generic nxn chessboard, the number of possible pathways is \displaystyle \binom{2n-2}{n-1}.
westgrant88
I know there is a formula for how many of a certain thing like squares on a 8x8 chessboard but I haven't come across anything on pathways .Is there one for this type of problem?Any help would be appreciated.
Consider a 5-by-5 chessboard. You want to move a nickel from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. You are only allowed to move the nickel one square at a time, and each move must be either to the right or up. How many different paths are possible?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For an 8x8 board...
If you can only move up or right, then that simplifies things considerably. Note that no matter which path you choose, you must move right 7 times and up 7 times, so we have 14 "moves" in total, no matter which path you choose. Basically, we have 14 slots and want to know how many ways there are to insert 7 ups and 7 rights into those slots. Really, we just want to know the number of ways to arrange 7 objects in 15 slots, since we then get the other 7 for free (just use the empty slots). The solution is then...
[tex]\displaystyle \binom{14}{7} = \frac{14!}{7!7!}[/tex]

For a generic nxn board it would be...

[tex]\displaystyle \binom{2n-2}{n-1} = \frac{(2n-2)!}{(n-1)!(n-1)!}[/tex]

Last edited:
never mind I didnt see the edit.

westgrant88 said:
Just wondering how you get 7 moves right and 7 up. Icount 4 and 4. How am I missing 3?

That's my bad; I did it for an 8x8. For a 5x5, you're right, it would be 4 moves up and 4 moves right.

for your question. The number of paths on a 5x5 chessboard can be calculated using a combination of mathematical principles and logic. First, we can visualize the chessboard as a grid of 25 squares. Then, we can see that in order to reach the upper right corner from the lower left corner, we must make a total of 8 moves (5 moves to the right and 3 moves up).

Next, we can use the concept of combinations to determine the number of ways we can make these 8 moves. This can be calculated as 8!/(5!3!), which is equal to 56. This means that there are 56 different paths that can be taken to reach the upper right corner.

To further understand this calculation, imagine labeling each move as either "R" for right or "U" for up. Then, the number of possible paths can be represented as the number of different combinations of 5 "R"s and 3 "U"s, which is equal to 56.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides some insight into how we can approach solving this type of problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How many paths are there on a 5x5 chessboard?

There are 6,562,176 possible paths on a 5x5 chessboard.

2. What is the puzzle for the number of paths on a 5x5 chessboard?

The puzzle is to find the number of unique paths that a knight can take on a 5x5 chessboard, starting from any square and visiting every other square exactly once.

3. How do you calculate the number of paths on a 5x5 chessboard?

The number of paths can be calculated using combinatorics and the factorial function. It is equal to (25!)/(12!13!) = 6,562,176.

4. Can the puzzle for the number of paths on a 5x5 chessboard be solved using a computer program?

Yes, the puzzle can be solved using a computer program by implementing a backtracking algorithm to generate all possible paths and then checking for uniqueness. This is the most efficient way to find the solution.

5. Are there any other variations of this puzzle for different chessboard sizes?

Yes, there are variations of this puzzle for different chessboard sizes, such as 4x4, 6x6, or even larger. The number of paths will vary depending on the size of the chessboard.