1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many peaks in the interference pattern?

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a diffraction experiment in which electrons of kinetic energy 110 eV are scattered from a crystal, a first maximum in the intensity of the scattered electrons occurs at an angle θ=10.7
    a) How many peaks will there be in the interference pattern?
    b) What is the spacing between the atom planes?

2. Relevant equations
    2d sinθ = nλ
    λ = h/p = h/√(2m KE)

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the kinetic energy of the electron I found the wavelength to be 1.17*10^-10 m , then I don't understand how to use it in that equation, I believe n is the number of peaks, and d is the spacing, so how would I solve this equation while two variables are missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

n is the number of a given peak (well, the pair of peaks placed symmetrically about the centerline, where the central peak is for n = 0).

You're given the angle of the first peak for which n = 1. That should get you going. For more detail, take a look at the Hyperphysics entry on diffraction gratings.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/grating.html

4. Oct 11, 2015 #3
    Oh ok, so having n=1 will help me solve for the d, but how do I find how many peaks there are then?

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4

gneill

Usually you'd look for values of n where the equations start giving un-physical results (like imaginary angles, or impossible (real) values for a trig function).

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
    Solving for the angle θ, I start getting imaginary numbers at n=6, so that means there are 5 peaks?

7. Oct 11, 2015 #6

gneill

Sounds reasonable. Those would be pairs of peaks, and don't forget symmetry and the central peak.

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7
    Okay, thank you very much for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted