How many people needed to excite the lift cable to the 15th harmonic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using people as vibrational sources in an elevator to excite the 15th harmonic in the lift cable. It is assumed that the people weigh an average of 80kg and act at a fixed frequency of 100Hz. The problem is posed as a physics thought experiment and does not take into account real-world factors such as damping. The question is how many people would be needed to achieve the 15th harmonic, with the answer being one person as long as they have some form of instrumentation feedback to maintain the fixed frequency.
A9876

Homework Statement

A lift cable has mass per unit length 4kg/m. The lift has mass of 920kg (assume that the tension in the cable is provided solely by the weight it supports). When the lift stops at the 3rd floor, the distance from the top of the lift to the top of the cable is 4.6m. Assuming that people weigh (on average) 80kg and act as vibrational sources at 100Hz (from the motion of their feet), how many people would need to enter the lift to excite the 15th harmonic in the lift cable (to the nearest person)?

Homework Equations

v=√T/μ

fn = (n/2L)(√T/μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

T= (920+80N)×9.8 where N=number of people inside the lift

fn =(n/19.2)(√(9016+784N))

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi A9876, welcome to Physics Forums.

I'd interpret this to mean that 100Hz equates to the 15th harmonic of the cable's natural frequency.

Last edited:
One person is all you need, if that person has some instrumentation feedback and an understanding of what he is doing.

But this is a very simplified mode of an elevator. In real life he would have much damping in the system so that excitation would be small enough to require the instrumentation to know what was going on.

Pkruse said:
One person is all you need, if that person has some instrumentation feedback and an understanding of what he is doing.

But this is a very simplified mode of an elevator. In real life he would have much damping in the system so that excitation would be small enough to require the instrumentation to know what was going on.

If the person is restricted to applying a continuous 100Hz stimulus, I don't see what advantage instrumentation will give him.

That is not the natural frequency of the human body. So if he is to maintain 100 Hz, then he needs some sort of feedback to know he is doing that. If the amplitude of motion of the lift was great enough, then that would provide sufficient feed back. But the 15th harmomic motion will be too small for him to feel. In a real elevator, it will be much greater than 100 Hz, too.

Last edited:
Pkruse said:
That is not the natural frequency of the human body. So if he is to maintain 100 Hz, then he needs some sort of feedback to know he is doing that. If the amplitude of motion of the lift was great enough, then that would provide sufficient feed back. But the 15th harmomic motion will be too small for him to feel. In a real elevator, it will be much greater than 100 Hz, too.

The problem is posed in the nature of a physics thought experiment (gedanken); all you can do is take the problem statement at face value: "Assuming that people weigh (on average) 80kg and act as vibrational sources at 100Hz (from the motion of their feet)..."

So, 100 Hz it is, no matter what technology or contrivances you might need to imagine in order to have it work out that way so long as they don't interfere with the underlying physics of the system as presented.

Pkruse said:
For one person to fit the criterion he or she would be so morbidly obese that they may be unable to deliver the necessary "tap dance" excitation. http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9793/tazm.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi A9876, welcome to Physics Forums.

I'd interpret this to mean that 100Hz equates to the 15th harmonic of the cable's natural frequency.

Thankyou but the question seems to imply that each person acts as a vibrational source at 100Hz so wouldn't the frequency change with the number of people in the lift?

A9876 said:
Thankyou but the question seems to imply that each person acts as a vibrational source at 100Hz so wouldn't the frequency change with the number of people in the lift?

100 Hz is fixed. What other frequency is important here?

A9876 said:
No. They all shuffle in and out, and each set of feet generates consistent vibrations. People don't usually shuffle 5 times faster if the lift contains 5 people!

I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand the physics under discussion here. It does not seem to match my real world experience, in which I've excited many structures to find many modes, but usually not beyond the tenth. By then the natural frequencies are so high that nobody cares what they are, beyond the 100 khz range.

In a wire rope supported system, a single person can with little effort excite the first one or two modes, but after that mechanical means are required because the frequencies get too high. But the higher they get, the smaller the size of the mechanical shakers that is required. If a customer wanted me to test to the 15th mode, the shakers would weigh about two pounds, less than one kg.

If someone could help me expand my understanding of physics so as to explain then behavior of structures in the real world, the I would appreciate that.

Last edited:
Pkruse said:
I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand the physics under discussion here. It does not seem to match my real world experience, in which I've excited many structures to find many modes, but usually not beyond the tenth. By then the natural frequencies are so high that nobody cares what they are, beyond the 100 khz range.

In a wire rope supported system, a single person can with little effort excite the first one or two modes, but after that mechanical means are required because the frequencies get too high. But the higher they get, the smaller the size of the mechanical shakers that is required. If a customer wanted me to test to the 15th mode, the shakers would weigh about two pounds, less than one kg.

If someone could help me expand my understanding of physics so as to explain then behavior of structures in the real world, the I would appreciate that.

The THEORETICAL physics under discussion here: Standing wave harmonics of an ideal cable under tension.

In particular, cable tension is provided by a weight load which causes the 15th harmonic of the natural frequency of the cable to be 100Hz. The object is to determine what that weight load must be, and hence the number of 60kg units of mass that should be added to the initial 920kg load.

There's no 'real life' practicalities to consider here; it's strictly a theoretical Gedanken with ideal components.

It's barely worth discussing whether "15th" may be a typing mistake. But on noticing OP's error in typing 19.2 when meaning to type 9.2, it has crossed my mind ... https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

NascentOxygen said:
It's barely worth discussing whether "15th" may be a typing mistake. But on noticing OP's error in typing 19.2 when meaning to type 9.2, it has crossed my mind ... https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

19.2 wasn't an error, I just simplifed the equation

fn =(n/2L)(√T/μ) = (n/(4.6×2))(√(920+80N)g/4) = (n/9.2)(0.5√(9016+784N)) = (n/(19.2))(√(9016+784N))

I hope that clears everything up

A9876 said:
I hope that clears everything up
Have you a final answer for the number of persons?

NascentOxygen said:
Have you a final answer for the number of persons?

I'm not sure if I should round to 9 or 10 people. I did the following calculation:

f15 = 100Hz = (15/19.2)(√(9016+784N)) => N=(1282-9016)/784 = 9.39

What is the significance of the 15th harmonic in the lift cable?

The 15th harmonic refers to the frequency, or number of oscillations, of the lift cable. In this case, it is the 15th multiple of the fundamental frequency, which is the lowest and most stable frequency at which the cable can vibrate. This harmonic is important because it can affect the stability and safety of the lift system.

How is the number of people needed to excite the lift cable calculated?

The number of people needed to excite the lift cable to the 15th harmonic is determined by the mass and stiffness of the cable, as well as the frequency at which it is being excited. This calculation requires knowledge of the material properties of the cable and the frequency of the harmonic, which can be measured using specialized equipment.

Why is it important to know how many people are needed to excite the lift cable to the 15th harmonic?

Knowing the number of people needed to excite the lift cable to the 15th harmonic is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the lift system. If too few people are needed, the cable may become unstable and cause safety hazards. On the other hand, if too many people are needed, it could indicate that the cable is too stiff and may lead to unnecessary strain and wear on the system.

Can the number of people needed to excite the lift cable change over time?

The number of people needed to excite the lift cable can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear on the cable, changes in temperature, and the addition or removal of weight on the lift system. It is important to regularly monitor and calculate the necessary number of people to ensure the safe operation of the lift.

How does the 15th harmonic affect the overall performance of the lift system?

The 15th harmonic can affect the overall performance of the lift system by causing vibrations and potential instability. If the lift cable is excited to this harmonic, it may cause unnecessary strain on the system and increase the risk of mechanical failures. It is important to properly design and maintain the lift system to prevent the 15th harmonic from negatively impacting its performance.