How many right triangles can you create with given coordinates?

In summary, The speaker asks a question about how many right angles can be created with 5 given coordinates. They suggest one method, but it is complicated and involves testing every combination. The speaker then gives a faster method using the slopes of the lines between each point, but cautions that this method does not guarantee that all angles will be right angles.
Дьявол
Hello!
I have one question.
I have given 5 coordinates:
0 0
2 0
1 1
1 -1
3 -1

The question is how many right angles can I create with these coordinates?
I know one way out, but it is pretty complicated.
C52=5!/(2!*3!)=5*4*3!/(2!*3!)=10
And try every single combination (finding the sides of the triangles, there are 10 of them). Is there any simpler way?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how you tested to see if the triangles are right, but the fastest way is to find the slope of the lines between each two points. Perpendicular lines have slopes which are negative reciprocals of each other.

you never made sure that the angles you'll get will be all right angles.

1. How do you determine the number of right triangles that can be created with given coordinates?

To determine the number of right triangles that can be created with given coordinates, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of each side of the triangle. Then, you can use the slope formula to check if the triangle is a right triangle. If the slope is perpendicular, or the opposite reciprocal, then it is a right triangle. Repeat this process for each set of coordinates to find all possible right triangles.

2. Can you create more than one right triangle with the same set of coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to create more than one right triangle with the same set of coordinates. This can happen if the coordinates form a right angle and the length of the sides are different. For example, if the coordinates are (0,0), (3,0), and (0,4), you can create both a right triangle with sides of length 3 and 4, as well as a right triangle with sides of length 5 and 12.

3. Are there any limitations to creating right triangles with given coordinates?

Yes, there are some limitations to creating right triangles with given coordinates. The coordinates must form a right angle in order for the triangle to be a right triangle. Additionally, the length of the sides must also satisfy the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse must be equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. What if the given coordinates do not form a right triangle?

If the given coordinates do not form a right triangle, then it is not possible to create any right triangles with those coordinates. However, it is still possible to create other types of triangles, such as acute or obtuse triangles, depending on the angles formed by the coordinates.

5. Is there a specific formula or method for finding the number of right triangles with given coordinates?

There is no specific formula or method for finding the number of right triangles with given coordinates. It requires using the Pythagorean Theorem and slope formula to check each set of coordinates individually. The number of right triangles will vary depending on the given coordinates and their placement on the coordinate plane.