How many square roots does a complex number have?

In summary, a complex number has two square roots and any non-zero complex number has precisely n distinct nth roots. These roots can be written explicitly and are distinct for k= 0 to n-1.
dalcde
In general, how many square roots does a complex number have?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A square root u of z is the solution to the polynomial equation
u2 = z
(where z must be considered as a fixed number).
It is a general theorem that this second-degree polynomial has two complex roots.

In fact, you can write them down explicitly: if [itex]z = r e^{i\phi}[/itex] then
[tex]u_1 = \sqrt{r} e^{i\phi / 2} = \sqrt{r} \left( \cos \frac{\phi}{2} + i \sin \frac{\phi}{2} \right)[/tex]
and
[tex]u_2 = -u_1[/tex]
both square to z.

Two - try looking up the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

In fact, it is easy to show that any non-zero complex number has precisely n distinct nth roots:

Let [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/itex] with r> 0. Then the nth roots of z are given by [itex]r^{1/n}e^{i(\theta+ 2k\pi)/n}[/itex] where [itex]r^{1/n}[/itex] is the positive real nth root of the positive real number r and k is a non-negative integer.

For k= 0 to n-1, those are distinct because [itex]0\le 2k\pi/n< 2\pi[/itex] but when k= n, [itex]2k\pi/n= 2n\pi/n= 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]e^{i(\theta+ 2\pi)}= e^{i\theta}[/itex].

In general, a complex number has two square roots. This is because a complex number can be represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1). When we take the square root of a complex number, we are essentially finding two numbers (one real and one imaginary) whose product is equal to the given complex number. Therefore, a complex number has two square roots, one with a positive sign in front of the imaginary unit and one with a negative sign. For example, the square roots of 4 + 9i are 2 + 3i and -2 - 3i. However, it is important to note that this is a general rule and there may be exceptions for certain complex numbers.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

2. How many square roots does a complex number have?

A complex number has two square roots, just like any other number. These square roots are called the principal square root and the negative square root.

3. How do you find the square roots of a complex number?

To find the square roots of a complex number, you can use the formula √(a + bi) = ±(√a + i√b). This means that you take the square root of the real part and the square root of the imaginary part, and then combine them with a plus or minus sign.

4. Can a complex number have more than two square roots?

No, a complex number can only have two square roots. This is because the square root operation can only have two results, and a complex number is no exception.

5. Do all complex numbers have square roots?

Yes, all complex numbers have square roots. This is because every complex number can be written in the form a + bi, and the square root operation applies to both the real and imaginary parts of a complex number.