1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many square roots does a complex number have?

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    In general, how many square roots does a complex number have?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A square root u of z is the solution to the polynomial equation
    u2 = z
    (where z must be considered as a fixed number).
    It is a general theorem that this second-degree polynomial has two complex roots.

In fact, you can write them down explicitly: if [itex]z = r e^{i\phi}[/itex] then
    [tex]u_1 = \sqrt{r} e^{i\phi / 2} = \sqrt{r} \left( \cos \frac{\phi}{2} + i \sin \frac{\phi}{2} \right)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]u_2 = -u_1[/tex]
    both square to z.

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Two - try looking up the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact, it is easy to show that any non-zero complex number has precisely n distinct nth roots:

Let [itex]z= re^{i\theta}[/itex] with r> 0. Then the nth roots of z are given by [itex]r^{1/n}e^{i(\theta+ 2k\pi)/n}[/itex] where [itex]r^{1/n}[/itex] is the positive real nth root of the positive real number r and k is a non-negative integer.

For k= 0 to n-1, those are distinct because [itex]0\le 2k\pi/n< 2\pi[/itex] but when k= n, [itex]2k\pi/n= 2n\pi/n= 2\pi[/itex] and [itex]e^{i(\theta+ 2\pi)}= e^{i\theta}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook