How many years could I make it?

• Thread starter Rockazella
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, if you were to minor in physics, you could expect to last about two years in the average college curriculum before the topics become too math-heavy. However, in order to take advanced level courses, you would need to have a strong understanding of calculus. It is possible to avoid heavy theoretical math by focusing on experimental courses, but even engineers need to have a solid grasp of calculus.
Rockazella
I (for lack of a better n more fitting term) suck at math, but I'm pretty ok at grasping physics concepts. So I'm wondering... If I were to minor in physics, how many years of the average college curriculum could I last before the topics become entirely too mathy?

I should add that I have some intention to improve my math skills, but who knows how that will go

Physics news on Phys.org
Two years. That's the lower division where you could get courses not requiring calculus. After that, if you just can't master calculus, you won't be able to get the advanced level courses. For example electromagnetism requires partial derivatives and even harder things (vector calculus, or differential forms, take your pick).

It's just concevable that you could plot an experimental track in the right school and avoid real theory, but even engineers have to know calculus.

1. How many years could I make it in a particular field of science?

The number of years you can make it in a particular field of science depends on various factors such as your level of education, experience, and dedication to the field. Generally, a bachelor's degree in a science-related discipline can lead to a career of about 5-10 years, while a master's degree can extend it to 10-20 years. A Ph.D. can lead to a career of 20+ years in a particular field.

2. How many years does it take to become a successful scientist?

Becoming a successful scientist is a gradual process that requires hard work, dedication, and determination. It can take anywhere from 10-15 years to become a successful scientist, depending on your chosen field, research projects, and publications. However, success is subjective and can be achieved at different stages of your career.

3. How many years of experience do I need to obtain a job as a scientist?

The amount of experience required to obtain a job as a scientist varies depending on the employer and the position. Entry-level positions may require 1-2 years of experience, while more senior positions may require 5-10 years of experience. It is essential to gain experience through internships, research projects, and publications to increase your chances of landing a job as a scientist.

4. How many years of schooling do I need to become a scientist?

The number of years of schooling required to become a scientist depends on your chosen field and level of education. A bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree takes an additional 2 years. A Ph.D. can take 4-6 years to complete after a bachelor's degree. Some fields of science may also require additional years of schooling, such as medical or veterinary sciences.

5. How many years of research experience do I need to become a successful scientist?

Research experience is crucial for a career as a scientist, but the amount needed to be successful varies. Some scientists may have years of research experience before obtaining a Ph.D., while others may gain research experience during their Ph.D. program. The key is to continuously build upon your research skills and experience throughout your career to stay competitive and successful in your field.