How might I liquefy small quantities of natural gas?

In summary, the students are experimenting with the use of CNG as a fuel source in a small engine. They are considering the use of liquid nitrogen as a coolant to condense the gas, and are thinking about ways to reduce the risk of leakage.
diligentExplorer
Several undergraduate and graduate students and I are building a small engine powered by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). It is a small and straightforward affair, similar to what is found in small equipment such as chainsaws and lawn mowers. I wanted to experiment with Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) as fuel storage (due to it's 600x greater density), but I obviously ran into some logistical issues. I can easily purchase CNG, but LNG is obviously not on the menu in any quantity smaller than a supertanker, for obvious reasons. But I was wondering if there is a feasible way to condense gas from a CNG container into LNG for experimental purposes (I intend to produce only 1-2 L of LNG at a time). The cost or energy economics of the liquefaction process are not important as this is just an experimental rig. And this is not paid/funded research, or even official research at all, so keeping the costs below around five thousand USD is important. If it works it will likely develop into research, but that's a bit forward in the future. I'm just wondering if there's a SMALL machine I could purchase or a simple solution I could build myself. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The boiling point of methane is above that of liquid nitrogen, so I would suggest using liquid nitrogen as a coolant to condense it. Liquid nitrogen should be readily available in fairly large quantities. ## \\ ## From what I'm seeing for the melting temperature of methane, you may even be able to freeze the methane with liquid nitrogen.

Charles Link said:
The boiling point of methane is above that of liquid nitrogen, so I would suggest using liquid nitrogen as a coolant to condense it. Liquid nitrogen should be readily available in fairly large quantities. ## \\ ## From what I'm seeing for the melting temperature of methane, you may even be able to freeze the methane with liquid nitrogen.
Wow, silly me. I was just thinking of scaling down the large-scale process, but that's an obvious solution I should have thought of and it really that works great for small quantities such as those I am working with. I guess I will have to devise some sort of apparatus that can safely condense with minimum leakage (and no mechanical implosions or fractures). Thanks

Likes Charles Link
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After a Mentor discussion, this potentially dangerous discussion will not continue. Thread will remain closed.

Likes Charles Link

1. How does natural gas become a liquid?

Natural gas can become a liquid through a process called liquefaction. This involves cooling the gas to -260 degrees Fahrenheit, at which point it condenses into a liquid state.

2. Can natural gas be liquefied in small quantities?

Yes, natural gas can be liquefied in small quantities using specialized equipment such as a liquefier or a cryocooler. However, this process can be expensive and is typically only done on a large scale.

3. What is the purpose of liquefying natural gas?

The main purpose of liquefying natural gas is for storage and transportation. In its liquid form, natural gas takes up about 1/600th of its gaseous volume, making it much more efficient to transport and store.

4. Is it safe to liquefy natural gas?

Liquefying natural gas is a complex and highly controlled process that is generally considered safe when done correctly. However, there are potential risks and safety measures, such as proper ventilation and handling equipment, must be taken to ensure safe operations.

5. What are the challenges of liquefying small quantities of natural gas?

The main challenges of liquefying small quantities of natural gas include the high cost of equipment and energy required for the process, as well as the potential for leaks or accidents if proper safety measures are not followed. Additionally, small-scale liquefaction may not be as efficient or cost-effective as large-scale operations.