How much does a steel measuring tape expand on a hot day?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
nickb145
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 61.00m long steel measuring tape is calibrated for use at 20.0∘C. How long is this tape under the following conditions:

a hot day with 38∘C?
Express your answer using four decimal places and include the appropriate units.
i've been losing my mind over this, i swear I'm doing it correctly.

Homework Equations



ΔL/L=αΔT



The Attempt at a Solution





(38-20)=18°C

(61m)(1.2*10-5)(18)= .01317m

Mastering physics keeps telling me that I'm inncorrrect , I swear I'm doing it how the book wants me to do it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nickb145 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


(38-20)=18°C

(61m)(1.2*10-5)(18)= .01317m

Is this the length of the tape or the change in the length of the tape?
 
nickb145 said:
(38-20)=18°C

(61m)(1.2*10-5)(18)= .01317m

Mastering physics keeps telling me that I'm inncorrrect , I swear I'm doing it how the book wants me to do it.

nickb145 said:
it is the change in L

Does it make sense that a 61 meter long steel tape shrunk to about 1.3 cm in length?
 
nickb145 said:
obviously not.

So. What is it that your formula is giving you?
 
the amount the metal is changing in length. Silly me, i didn't add it together
 
nickb145 said:
the amount the metal is changing in length. Silly me, i didn't add it together

Huzzah! :smile: