1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condensed Matter: Thermal Expansion coeff. using diffraction angles

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a temperature of 18°C a beam of diffracted monochromatic x-rays is observed at an angle of 150.8° to the incident beam after being diffracted by a crystal with cubic structure. At a temperature of 318°C the corresponding beam makes an angle of 141.6° with the incident beam. What is the mean coefficient of linear expansion of the crystal in the given temperature range?

2. Relevant equations

α=Δl/lΔT

possibly nλ=2dsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I already have ΔT and the equation for thermal expansion, but I have no idea how to get l and Δl. I know it must have something to do with the diffraction angles, maybe Bragg's Law? I've scoured the entire internet looking for an equation to relate the two, and I just cant find it. Even just an equation relating those would be helpful. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, themongrelcat. Welcome to PF!

See if you can find an expression for Δd/d.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted