How much energy does the kettle transfer?

• Thread starter Christopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the energy transfer of an electric kettle given the voltage and power information provided. The expert explains that power is the rate of energy transfer and provides the equation to solve for energy. The charge of the electron and voltage are not necessary for this problem. The person asking the question realizes their mistake and acknowledges the importance of understanding concepts in physics.
Christopher
I know that Tom wants us to at least have one go at answering the question ourselves but Ihave been haunted by this question for almost a week now and I don't feel ay closer to answering it.

I have been given the electron charge which is 1.6*10-19 C and I have been given the question "An electric kettle is labelled "230V, 2.3kW". It takes 2.5 minutes to boil some water.
How much energy does the kettle transfer?

How am I meant to answer this questin if I am not given some sort of other energy to compare the electric energy to?
Please help

Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ps: the italic -19 is meant to be a small -19 above to the right of the 10.

You have been given voltage and power. Power is the rate of energy transfer(P = E/t) . So "watts" = "joules"/"seconds" therefore, E = Pt "joules" = "watts" x "seconds" . You don't need the charge of the electron nor the voltage for this problem.

Thankyou :biggrin:
It never seemd to occur to me that power is the energy transfer but now it makes so much sense I feel quite stupid...lol! :rofl:

Last edited:
Christopher said:
... but now it makes so much sense I feel quite stupid...lol! :rofl:

That's what Physics is all about!

1. How is energy transferred in a kettle?

The energy in a kettle is transferred through a process called conduction. This means that the heat from the heating element is transferred to the water through direct contact.

2. How much energy does a kettle typically transfer?

The amount of energy a kettle transfers can vary depending on the type of kettle and the amount of water being heated. On average, a kettle transfers around 1500 watts of energy per hour.

3. How is the energy usage of a kettle measured?

The energy usage of a kettle is typically measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh). This is calculated by multiplying the wattage of the kettle by the time it is in use.

4. Is using a kettle more energy efficient than boiling water on the stove?

In most cases, using a kettle is more energy efficient than boiling water on the stove. This is because kettles are specifically designed to heat water quickly and efficiently, while stoves may use excess energy to heat the surrounding air.

5. Does the material of the kettle affect the amount of energy it transfers?

Yes, the material of the kettle can affect the amount of energy it transfers. For example, kettles made of copper or aluminum are more conductive and can transfer energy more efficiently than kettles made of stainless steel or glass.