1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much energy does the kettle transfer?

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    I know that Tom wants us to at least have one go at answering the question ourselves but Ihave been haunted by this question for almost a week now and I don't feel ay closer to answering it.

I have been given the electron charge which is 1.6*10-19 C and I have been given the question "An electric kettle is labelled "230V, 2.3kW". It takes 2.5 minutes to boil some water.
    How much energy does the kettle transfer?

How am I meant to answer this questin if I am not given some sort of other energy to compare the electric enegy to?
    Please help

Chris

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2
    ps: the italic -19 is meant to be a small -19 above to the right of the 10.

4. Sep 15, 2004 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have been given voltage and power. Power is the rate of energy transfer(P = E/t) . So "watts" = "joules"/"seconds" therefore, E = Pt "joules" = "watts" x "seconds" . You don't need the charge of the electron nor the voltage for this problem.

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4
    Thankyou :biggrin:
    It never seemd to occur to me that power is the energy transfer but now it makes so much sense I feel quite stupid...lol! :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  6. Sep 15, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what Physics is all about!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?