How much energy is released from an electron-positron annihilation?

In summary, the energy released is the mass energy (1.022 MeV) plus the energy that resulted from the electromagnetic attraction. Using Coulomb's Law, the energy released should be infinite, which is obviously not the case.
thomas9459
More specifically, I am wondering what the energy released is when the electromagnetic force is also included in this calculation. In the case where the electron and positron are at a distance d, the energy released would be the mass energy (1.022 MeV) plus the energy that resulted from the electromagnetic attraction. Using Coulomb's Law, the energy released should be infinite, which is obviously not the case. What does QED say about the mater? Has an experiment which measured the energy released accurately enough to see the extra energy from the electromagnetic attraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
That still doesn't answer the question of how much energy is released from the annihilation.

thomas9459 said:
That still doesn't answer the question of how much energy is released from the annihilation.

I'm a layman but I'd think that since the both particles are being annihilated, that no energy is released; don't they just cancel each other out?

CyberShot said:
I'm a layman but I'd think that since the both particles are being annihilated, that no energy is released; don't they just cancel each other out?
That violates conservation of energy and is certainly not true at all.

thomas9459 said:
What does QED say about the mater? Has an experiment which measured the energy released accurately enough to see the extra energy from the electromagnetic attraction?
Pal, you don't have to drag in QED in order to describe this phenomenon! This is perfectly describable using basic physics - the concept of conservation of energy (or rather, mass-energy in this case).

Imagine I have a system consisting of an electron and positron at a distance d from each other. The total energy of the system at that point is
[tex]m_{e}c^{2} + m_{p}c^{2} + KE_{e} + KE_{p} - k \frac{e^{2}}{d^{2}}[/tex]
By conservation of mass-energy, the total energy released when they annihilate is the same.

Fightfish said:
[tex]m_{e}c^{2} + m_{p}c^{2} + KE_{e} + KE_{p} - k \frac{e^{2}}{d^{2}}[/tex]

So a better question is at what distance do they annihilate. My impression was it happens when the electron and positron "touch", but since they are point particles, this would happen at d=0, which results in a division by zero.

you try to mix quantum mechanics with classical mechanics in not a good way and thus you result in this problem.
The phenomenon of annihilation is an electromagnetic one, thus you truly have electromagnetism already inside.
Generally it doesn't happen when they "touch". It happens in whatever a distance they are according to the possibilities of electromagnetism interaction (thus the coupling constant). Thus you have annihilation as you also have the pair creation of a photon of E_g ~> 1MeV (eg Na22)

1. How is energy released from an electron-positron annihilation?

When an electron and a positron collide, they annihilate each other and their mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This energy is released in the form of gamma rays.

2. How much energy is released in an electron-positron annihilation?

The exact amount of energy released depends on the mass of the electron and positron involved in the annihilation. However, on average, it is estimated that about 1 MeV (million electron volts) of energy is released per annihilation event.

3. Can the energy released from an electron-positron annihilation be harnessed?

Yes, the energy released from an electron-positron annihilation can potentially be harnessed for practical use. However, this technology is still in its early stages and there are currently no practical applications for it.

4. Is an electron-positron annihilation a common occurrence?

Electron-positron annihilations can occur naturally, such as in high-energy cosmic ray collisions, but they are not a common occurrence in everyday life. They are more commonly observed in laboratory experiments using particle accelerators.

5. What is the significance of studying electron-positron annihilation?

Studying electron-positron annihilation can help scientists better understand the fundamental properties of matter and antimatter, as well as the laws of physics that govern their interactions. It also has potential applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.