Problem with classical electrostatic potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy of a classical electron-positron system and how it is limited by the masses of the particles involved. It is mentioned that QED is not necessary to explain this phenomenon, as ordinary quantum mechanics works fine in predicting a ground state with finite binding energy. The concept of potential energy having a negative value and the role of QED in electron-positron annihilation is also touched upon. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to further explore the reasons for the energy level of the ground state in relation to the maximum binding energy.
zonde
Gold Member
In classical physics electrostatic potential energy is: ##U=k_e\frac{q_1q_2}{r}##
So amount of potential energy is not limited as ##r\rightarrow 0##
But obviously potential energy (= binding energy) is limited by masses of charge carrying particles. Say when electron and positron annihilates their combined mass is converted into photons. So it would seem like annihilation happens at non-zero overlap of two particles.
Well, for me it seems like a problem that needs an explanation. Say, are charges not constant?
As QED is current most complete description of electromagnetic phenomena, I would like to ask if QED holds some explanation for this problem (given I correctly identify it as a problem)? May be there is ready explanation for this problem to which you can point me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need QED. Ordinary quantum mechanics works fine, giving a ground state with finite binding energy.

Likes zonde
The potential energy of an electron-positron system can temporarily have a negative value of arbitrary magnitude, but then it isn't necessarily an energy eigenstate (with a hydrogen-like wavefunction, ##1s, 2s, 2p_x##...). The electron-positron annihilation has to be dealt with by QED. If you force an electron and positron really close to each other and they annihilate, the resulting photon energies have to contain the potential energy of the initial state that had a short electron-positron distance.

Likes zonde
Okay, I understand that this is not a problem in QM because there is ground state energy level that does not exceed maximum of binding energy (determined by sum of unbound particle rest masses). So to understand it better I would have to try to understand why the ground state has the energy it has.
Thanks Orodruin and hilbert2, now I have an idea where to look further.

1. What is the classical electrostatic potential energy?

The classical electrostatic potential energy is a type of potential energy that is associated with electric charges. It is the energy that is stored in a system when charged particles interact with each other due to their electric fields.

2. How is the classical electrostatic potential energy calculated?

The classical electrostatic potential energy is calculated using the equation U = k(q1q2)/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the interacting particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What causes a problem with classical electrostatic potential energy?

A problem with classical electrostatic potential energy can arise when dealing with systems that contain multiple charges. This is because the potential energy calculation assumes that the charges are fixed in position, which may not always be the case in real systems.

4. How does the problem with classical electrostatic potential energy affect real-world applications?

The problem with classical electrostatic potential energy can lead to inaccuracies in the prediction of the behavior of charged particles in real-world applications. This can be problematic in fields such as chemistry, where the behavior of molecules is heavily influenced by electrostatic interactions.

5. What are some proposed solutions to the problem with classical electrostatic potential energy?

There are several proposed solutions to the problem with classical electrostatic potential energy, such as using quantum mechanics to account for the motion of particles, or incorporating corrections to the classical equation. Another approach is to use more accurate computational methods to simulate the behavior of charged particles in a system.