Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How much less wind resistance will a round skyscraper have?

1. Jan 28, 2017 #1
    For a school project, I need to know how much less wind resistance a round skyscraper will have compared to a standard rectangular one. You can assume the skyscraper will simply be a generic elliptical shape, somewhat similar to an egg. Answer doesn't have to be extremely specific, I just need an average to put into my presentation.

We need to make a proposal talking about the benefits of round skyscrapers vs standard, rectangular ones.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 28, 2017 #3

berkeman

There is a significant disadvantage to using an elliptical shape instead of a circular one. Can you think of what that might be? It should be mentioned in your presentation... :smile:

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4
    I really can't think of what you're referring to. Could you please explain?

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the wind always coming from the same direction? Your shape might have less drag, but could produce significant lift perpendicular to the wind, if the wind is not perfectly aligned with the symmetry axis.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6

berkeman

See A.T.'s reply above this one, and also think about what happens at all given wind directions...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted