How much of an impact does your lower division grades have on jobs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sharkshockey
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I'm a second semester sophomore right now majoring in Computer Engineering and things aren't looking bright for me.

First semester, freshmen year, I got a 3.3 with one dropped class, chemistry.
Second semester, freshmen year, I got a 2.8 with one dropped class, Calc 2.

Both dropped classes have been made up.

First semester, sophomore year, I got a 2.16, with no dropped classes, however I got a D in math which is a 4 unit class and a C in E+M, which is also a 4 unit class. I was hospitalized for about a week and missed a lot of material, so I was playing catch up from there on out. I'm going to try and see if I can retake math and replace the grade.

That leaves me at a 2.7 cumulative GPA as of now. I haven't taken any major classes yet. I'm planning on working on campus this upcoming summer, then the summer between my junior and senior year is getting an internship, hopefully.

I want to work for either the Air Force after graduation or Lockheed, nVidia, Intel. How would this affect my chances of pursuing said goals? Also in a hypothetical situation if I were to receive nothing less than a B in each class until graduation, how would that alter the affect on my situation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a limited viewpoint - but, G.P.A. is not really as important as the selection of courses you studied, the depth of some groups of courses which you study, and what you know how to do.

EDIT: "variety of courses" instead of just "selection of courses". The idea is that someone should not take too limited a selection of course, that some variety is helpful.
 
Last edited: