1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much of an impact does your lower division grades have on jobs?

1. Dec 19, 2008 #1
    I'm a second semester sophomore right now majoring in Computer Engineering and things aren't looking bright for me.

First semester, freshmen year, I got a 3.3 with one dropped class, chemistry.
    Second semester, freshmen year, I got a 2.8 with one dropped class, Calc 2.

Both dropped classes have been made up.

First semester, sophomore year, I got a 2.16, with no dropped classes, however I got a D in math which is a 4 unit class and a C in E+M, which is also a 4 unit class. I was hospitalized for about a week and missed a lot of material, so I was playing catch up from there on out. I'm going to try and see if I can retake math and replace the grade.

That leaves me at a 2.7 cumulative GPA as of now. I haven't taken any major classes yet. I'm planning on working on campus this upcoming summer, then the summer between my junior and senior year is getting an internship, hopefully.

I want to work for either the Air Force after graduation or Lockheed, nVidia, Intel. How would this affect my chances of pursuing said goals? Also in a hypothetical situation if I were to receive nothing less than a B in each class until graduation, how would that alter the affect on my situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a limited viewpoint - but, G.P.A. is not really as important as the selection of courses you studied, the depth of some groups of courses which you study, and what you know how to do.

EDIT: "variety of courses" instead of just "selection of courses". The idea is that someone should not take too limited a selection of course, that some variety is helpful.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?