How much oxygen absorbing area does an insect have?

In summary, the question asks how much oxygen absorbing area, in square meters, an insect has for each kilogram of body mass. Using the given dimensions of a cylinder representing an insect and assuming a density of 1 g/cm3, the correct answer is 1.40 square meters of oxygen absorbing area per kilogram of body mass.
salmayoussef

Homework Statement

Insects don't need lungs. They breath through their skins. In this way they can get enough oxygen to fuel the basic metabolism that is common to all life. Approximate an insect by a cylinder of diameter 4mm and length 5mm. Assuming that the density of the insect is approximately that of water (i.e. 1.0 gram per cubic centimeter), how much oxygen absorbing area, in square meters, does the insect have for each kilogram of body mass?

I did my best to understand what this question is asking me and tried to solve it to no avail.

I know:

density = 1 g/cm3
diameter = 4 mm = 0.004 m
length = 5 mm = 0.005 m

Homework Equations

SA of a cylinder
Volume of a cylinder

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for the SA of the cylinder

SA = 2∏rh + 2∏r2
SA = 2∏(0.002)(0.005) + 2∏(0.002)2
SA = 0.000087964 m2

Then I tried to solve for volume

V = ∏r2h
V = ∏(0.002)2h
V = 0.005012566 m3

Then I tried to find "oxygen absorbing area" in m2 for each kg of body fat

0.000087964 m2/0.0005012 kg = 0.1755

Unfortunately it isn't the right answer! Can anybody point out what I've been doing wrong? Thanks! :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations and math formulas look good. However, you are given density in 1 g/cm3. The question asks for it in kg. Your main error I notice right off the bat is you are assuming volume = mass which is incorrect

So here is what I would do.

Convert units!

Diameter: 4mm
Height (length): 5mm
Density: 1g/cm3

Because density is in cm, I suggest changing mm to cm not to m until the end so its easier. You also need to convert g to kg. Post what you have and I'll explain the rest!

happysmiles36 said:
Your main error I notice right off the bat is you are assuming volume = mass which is incorrect

But if the ratio is 1:1, wouldn't that mean that 0.5012 cm3 is 0.5012 g?

I will explain that, just convert the units for now, trust me, will be easier to follow.

Impatient answer:
(Mass=volumexdensity)

Okay, okay, so:

diameter = 4 mm = 0.4 cm
length (height) = 5 mm = 0.5 cm
density = 1 g/cm3 OR 1000 kg/m3

Using these units, SA = 0.879645 cm2 and v = 0.06283 cm3.

Correct?

Correct.
So the question wants the amount of SA/Mass

You already have SA so that is done (just need to convert to m^2[/10000]), however to get mass you multiply density and volume.
density should be 0.001 kg/cm^3.
Note your volume is in cm^3. converting cm^3 to m^3 is just extra work.

You get the correct answer with this.

Likes 1 person
I got 1.40 which is the correct answer! Thank you so much! :thumbs:

Your welcome :D

1. How does an insect absorb oxygen?

An insect absorbs oxygen through tiny openings on its body called spiracles. These spiracles lead to a network of tubes called tracheae, which deliver oxygen directly to the insect's cells.

2. How much oxygen can an insect absorb at one time?

The amount of oxygen an insect can absorb depends on its size and activity level. Generally, larger insects with higher metabolic rates can absorb more oxygen than smaller or less active insects.

3. Are all insects able to absorb oxygen?

Yes, all insects have the ability to absorb oxygen. However, some insects, such as aquatic insects, may have adapted to absorb oxygen through their skin or other specialized structures.

4. Can an insect survive without oxygen?

No, insects require oxygen to survive just like any other living organism. Without oxygen, their cells would not be able to carry out essential processes and they would ultimately die.

5. How does the amount of oxygen absorbing area vary between different insect species?

The amount of oxygen absorbing area can vary greatly between different insect species. Some insects have larger spiracles and tracheae, allowing them to absorb more oxygen, while others may have smaller openings and require less oxygen due to their size or lifestyle.