Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much power is needed to pull 2 persons through water

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

I am planning to do a project which can pull 2 persons through water at some speed. For example a casualty and a lifeguard This would be similar to a sea scooter which divers use, however it floats on the water only it does not dive.

I am not sure whether to post it here or in the differential equation section.

Is there some kind of equation that I can use? I am looking for an equation which takes the 2 persons into consideration (average) and also you can enter thee seed at which you want them to travel. Hopefully it takes into account the drag as well. The output I want is power in watts so that I can choose the appropriate electric motor.

Best Regards Glenn

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps what you need is this equation..

Power = force * velocity
    or in this case
    Power = drag * velocity

The easiest way to find out the drag force is to actually tow two people behind a boat at the required velocity and measure the tension in the tow rope.

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

An excellent suggestion.

In practice, one may find that the controlling factor is force -- how much grip strength does the lifeguard have on the tow line and on the person being rescued? Paddling a kayak, I can pull 1/4 inch nylon through a swimmer's hands pretty easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook