Solving Equations with Subtraction: Can You Help Me?

• Thread starter xeon123
  • Start date
In summary, the original expression 2x+1-((2x+3)/2) can be simplified to (2x-1)/2 by combining like terms and using the distributive property to remove the parentheses.
xeon123
Hi,

I would like to solve this equation but I can't do it.

2x+1-((2x+3)/2)

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xeon123 said:
2x+1-((2x+3)/2)
First simplify the stuff in the parentheses: carry out the division.

(Those are expressions, not equations. No equals sign!)

This expression is the same as the following 2x+1-4x-6?

I've multiplied ((2x+3)/2) by 2, and removed the parenthesis.

xeon123 said:
No.
If you had an equation, you could multiply both sides by 2. But here you just have an expression. Divide by 2.

If you really mean to subtract two equations, please show those equations.

xeon123 said:

No, you can't just multiply by 2 and get the same result- and you surely can't multiply just part of an expression and expect to get any thing sensible. And, by the way, multiplying (2x+3)/2 by 2 would just cancel the 2 in the denominator to give 2x+ 3, not 4x+ 6.

You could write the first part as [itex](2/2)(2x+ 1)= (4x+2)/2[/tex] so you can add the fractions (remember getting a "common denominator" so you can add?):
[tex]\frac{4x+2}{2}- \frac{2x+3}{2}= \frac{4x+ 2- 2x- 3}{2}= \frac{2x- 1}{2}[/tex]

Fixed (?) LaTeX.
HallsofIvy said:
No, you can't just multiply by 2 and get the same result- and you surely can't multiply just part of an expression and expect to get any thing sensible. And, by the way, multiplying (2x+3)/2 by 2 would just cancel the 2 in the denominator to give 2x+ 3, not 4x+ 6.

You could write the first part as [itex](2/2)(2x+ 1)= (4x+2)/2[/itex] so you can add the fractions (remember getting a "common denominator" so you can add?):
[tex]\frac{4x+2}{2}- \frac{2x+3}{2}= \frac{4x+ 2- 2x- 3}{2}= \frac{2x- 1}{2}[/tex]

xeon123 said:
Hi,

2x+1-((2x+3)/2)
As already noted, this is not an equation, it's an expression. The best you can do with an expression is to rewrite it in a different and possibly more simplified form.

It's important to understand the difference between an equation (there's an =) and an expression, since there are many more things you can do to an equation, such as add a number to both sides, multiply both sides by a number, and so on.

With an expression, the only thing you can add is 0 (in some form) or multiply by 1 (in some form), or expand or factor to write the expression in a different form.

In addition to Mark44's suggestion, try to get them with the same denominator.

ratnesh dubey said:
hi,
i write first equation than write second equation and less the second equation from first equation than get remainder this is our solution.
This makes no sense in the context of this thread. The OP's problem is to simplify an expression. There is no equation.

xeon123 said:
Hi,

2x+1-((2x+3)/2)

Can you help me?

Thanks,

2x + 1 - ((2x + 3)/2)
2x + 1 - (x + 3/2)
2x + 1 - x - 3/2
x - 1/2

This is the step by step answer to your question.

2x+1-((2x+3)/2)

=(4x+2-2x-3)/2
=(2x-1)/2:wink:

1. How do you subtract two equations?

To subtract two equations, you simply need to align them vertically and subtract each term of the second equation from the corresponding term in the first equation. This will result in a new equation with the combined terms.

2. Can I subtract equations with different variables?

Yes, as long as the variables have the same degree (exponent) and are being subtracted in the same order, you can subtract equations with different variables. However, keep in mind that the resulting equation may not have a solution if the variables are not related in any way.

3. How is subtracting equations different from adding equations?

Subtracting equations is essentially the same as adding equations, except that the signs of the terms in the second equation are flipped. This is because when you subtract a number from another number, you are essentially adding its opposite.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should subtract terms?

There is no specific order in which you should subtract terms, as long as you are consistent and keep track of which terms you have already subtracted. However, it may be helpful to start from the left and work your way to the right.

5. Can I use subtraction to solve equations?

Yes, subtracting equations is a common method used to solve systems of equations. By subtracting one equation from another, you can eliminate one of the variables and solve for the remaining variable. However, this method may not always result in a solution, so it is important to check your work.