tim9000 said:
At each of those voltages, along the vertical axis where VDC is zero, where am I operating on the BH curve?
if we take the bottom one, your outer coil V-I measurements i think , as the BH curve
let's think basics
200 turns
e = n dΦ / dt and for sinusoids d/dt of sin(ωt) = ωcos(ωt) and at your 50 hz ω = 100 pi
e = 200 * 100pi * Φ inwebers
so one volt rms would be rms flux of 1/(200 *100pi) = 15.9 microwebers rms at 50 hz,
>>>>sanity check - you saturate around 36 volts, 36 X 15.9 = 573 microwebers
in area of 555 micro-m^2 (from post 104) = 1.03 Teslas, which seems reasonable because peak is higher by √2 . <<<
interesting - 1.03 Tesla at 36 volts = 35 volts per Tesla, a nice round number for this core
Okay , with no DC you operate from the bottom of your BH curve up to whatever voltage you're applying.
Realizing the BH curve is symmetrical and we're only looking at one quadrant
30 volts would be 0.86 Tesla
you are sweeping along orange line, up and down that curve, same distance into opposite quadrant, at 50 hz.
tim9000 said:
(So I took data in sets of 10VAC increments excitation to the outter legs) I took heaps more readings around 70V
That conflicts with graph immediately above - you are well saturated by 38 volts so it should be really buzzing if not smoking by 70 volts on one leg.
Perhaps you had the two outer legs in series, aiding ?
tim9000 said:
Why does it appear as though around 50V AC excitation has the biggest 0V DC, inductance? Is this the peak inductance: like steepest change in BH curve (flux per amp), we were talking about before?
I'll assume the two outboard coils were in series, so your graph shows twice the voltage of each coil - your graph just above was unambiguously described in post 86 as
one coil...
Looking at your chart, 40V is next highest, 60 and 30 tied for third place.
That'd cover the range 15 to 30 volts per coil
here's a zoom of your curve , looks to me like the steepest part of the curve.
Not bad for empirical data i'd say.
tim9000 said:
You can see the voltage drops on the Mag Amp (goin onto the load instead).
I'd also like to know here, how as I adjust the DC what is happening to where I'm sitting on the BH curve.
Kinda hard to say without knowing how steady is the current through the middle winding.
If you just have a DC voltage supply across that winding, there might be considerable AC fed into it from the load current. in the outboard legs
You'd like to be operating with small voltage across the magamp, way out here on the BH curve.
remember you sweep that orange line 50 times a second, staying in this quadrant.
and that you dropped to such low voltage across your core says you probably made it.
It'd be interesting to know if there's a DC component in your load current. Do you measure it with DMM ?
I'll see if i can copy a few pages from my sixty-five year old magamps book.
old jim