How the wave impedance of free space works?

In summary, the wave impedance Z0 in free space for electric and magnetic fields is not the same in the Fresnel Region, as well as in the Frounhofer region with a small error. This is due to the presence of a conducting antenna that alters the ratio of E and H fields. The closer the source is, the more significant the difference in impedance becomes. This is similar to how a conducting plate affects the resistance measurement of a piece of resistive paper. The behavior of the wave impedance near electric and magnetic sources is different due to the different nature of these sources.
Massi
Hi All,
what is the reason why very close to an electromagnetic source (Fresnel Region), the wave impedance Z0 in free space for electric field and magnetic field is not the same? Z0 for magnetic field increases and for electric field decreases by increasing the distance from the source. Actually they are different also in the Frounhofer region but they have practically the same values with a very insignificant error.
So why the wave impedance can be different for the electric and magnetic fields?
Regards
Massimo

Physics news on Phys.org
Massi said:
So why
It's not a "why" it's just that the ratio of E and H fields (the definition of the Impedance) is different in the vicinity of, say, a piece of metal (a wire antenna).
If you want a fairly close parallel, imagine taking a sheet of resistive paper and you measure the resistance between two small pads, separated by 1m and you use that value to describe the Resistance of the paper. If you stick a conducting plate along the line between the pads and measure the resistance, it will be lower. Two different measured values for the same piece of paper. Introducing the plate has affected your measurement because it is 'in parallel' with the paper resistive path. The smaller the plate is, compared with the pad separation, the less difference it will make this is equivalent to looking 'near and far field'. When there is a conducting antenna present, it appears (perhaps) in parallel with the E Field and near your Impedance Measuring device and will alter the ratio of E/H.
Massi said:
So why the wave impedance can be different for the electric and magnetic fields?
I'm not sure you meant that because the wave impedance contains both quantities.

Likes Massi
thanks for reply, so the source itself perturbates the wave impedance;
I did this question because I found on the web this picture that I show you in attachment (the reference is given in the file). I did a bit confusion in the previous message I sent, Actually it refers to electric field source and magnetic field sources for which the wave impedance has a different behavior close to the source. It is interesting to understand why there is different behaviour of the wave impedance close to magnetic source and electric source.
Regards
Massi

Attachments

• picture.docx
    101.7 KB · Views: 362
You have answered your own question there. As far as I can see, an "Electric Field Source" would be a source that maintains a given value of Electric Field under any conditions - like a (ideal) Voltage Source maintains volts whatever load is connected. Such a Field source would need to have a very low (zero) impedance to impress that field, come what may. So you already have an impedance that isn't 377 Ohms, when you are right next to the source. As you get further away from an E source, the direction of the vectors will become perpendicular to the propagating wave and an appropriate H field will appear.

Likes Massi
thank you
massi

1. What is wave impedance?

Wave impedance is a measure of the resistance a medium has to the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is wave impedance of free space defined?

The wave impedance of free space, also known as the intrinsic impedance, is the ratio of the electric field strength to the magnetic field strength in a vacuum. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetics and is approximately equal to 377 ohms (Ω).

3. Why is the wave impedance of free space important?

The wave impedance of free space is important because it plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It helps us understand how waves propagate and interact with different materials and is used in many calculations and equations in the field of electromagnetics.

4. How does wave impedance of free space differ from other mediums?

Unlike other mediums, the wave impedance of free space does not depend on the frequency or wavelength of the electromagnetic wave. It remains constant at 377 ohms (Ω) regardless of the properties of the wave.

5. Can the wave impedance of free space be changed?

No, the wave impedance of free space is a fundamental constant and cannot be changed. However, it can be modified in different materials, as the impedance of a medium is dependent on its electrical and magnetic properties.