How they got out of traffic tickets

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I quickly produced my license and registration. The policeman then said, “I’m going to have to give you a ticket.”I replied, “That’s okay, I know I was speeding.”The policeman said, “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you go.”I said, “That’s okay, I know I deserve the ticket.”I then thanked the policeman for his time and drove away.In summary, the driver explained that he was speeding and that he knew he deserved the ticket. The policeman gave the driver a warning, but the driver still
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
AOL Autos) -- Readers tell AOL Autos how they avoided getting a traffic ticket from a police officer.

...I was pulled over in a residential L.A. neighborhood for an illegal left turn. The officer asked me if I knew what I'd done. I said yes, that I'd made an illegal left turn, knowing it was illegal and that I'd done the same thing the day before, but only realized I'd made an illegal turn as I did it.

The officer asked if I realized I was admitting to having done the illegal turn twice. I said yes. He said they weren't giving out warnings; they were ticketing people. I said I realized that and knew I deserved the ticket. He reiterated the point about not giving out warnings. I said I understood. He stared at me for a long time, and then told me no one ever tells them the truth. And because of that he was giving me a warning.[continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/10/10/aa.traffic.tix/index.html

Back during my wild years, which lasted for about a half decade, and when I was probably at my worst, I got out of a ticket that I sooooooo much deserved. I was initially pulled over for racing. I also had an open bottle of something [don't remember what, but it was alcohol], behind the seat. The cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going, and I said something like, "yes, about 60", or however fast I was going when he saw me [this was down a main street in a small town]. He asked if I was old enough to be drinking. I said no. He then asked if I had been drinking, and I said yes... but that I wasn't too drunk to drive... then adding, but I'm sure that won't matter, to which he responded, "it might!". He eventually gave me a stern warning and let me go without a ticket. Luckily he never saw the open container.

I have often thought of how that one rare episode might have changed my life forever if I had encountered a different cop. At this point in my life I don't even have any driving tickets on my record, much less an arrest.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just goes to show telling the truth is best, i think a copper has all ready decided if he
is going to do you before you say any thing and may be the truth defuses him.

My first Husband and I were driving, and he didnt stop at a stop sign, we got pulled over. The cops asked him if he saw the sign, he said no. I said, he saw it, he's just a idiot. The cop gave me a sympathic look and let us go.

The only ticket I ever got was a parking ticket... when I was sitting in my car, and didn't even notice it. I was driving my mother to visit my grandmother who was in hospital, and I put myself on the 2 minute stop lane. As there was still some place, I figured that I could stay there unless the last place was taken, so I took a book and started reading. 20 minutes or so later, my mother came back, and saw the ticket on the windshield ! I didn't even notice it, and the cops who gave it to me mustn't have seen me inside. This was really weird! I haven't seen them, I haven't seen the police car or anything, I haven't seen the cops and they didn't see me... It's at that point that I got into MWI I guess :rofl:

(ok, I'm off-topic, because I didn't get out of it).

I've always been nice and frank to officers that pulled me over. Once pulling me for speeding, I said first "I know it's my fault sir, do what you got to do." He took my license and insurance for a minute, then returned and said you can go. He didn't issue me anything.

One time I sped over icy road talking on a cell phone passing a school. (It was stupid but was young then). So the cop pulled me over and started sort of yelling at me, "you could have killed someone" and threatened the possibilities of an arrest. I quickly diffused the situation by being frank, nice and understanding. Then the cop said to come out of the car, and we walked for a minute, while he was lecturing me about safety. He just gave me a ticket for an expired license sticker though, that's understandable.

Last edited:
Here's how I got of my traffic ticket:

I was pulled over by a policeman for speeding. The police man approached the driver’s door and I asked, “Is there a problem Officer?”

The policeman said, “Sir, you were speeding. Can I see your license please?”

I responded, “I’d give it to you but I don’t have one.”

“You don’t have one?”

“I lost it four times for drunk driving.”

The policeman was shocked. “I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t do that.”

The policeman said, “Why not?”

“I stole this car.”

“Stole it?”

“Yes, and I killed the owner.”

At this point the officer was getting stressed. “You what!?”

“She’s in the trunk if you want to see.”

The officer slowly backed away to his car and called for back up. Within minutes, five police cars showed up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approached the car, clasping his half drawn gun.

The senior officer said “Sir, could you step out of your vehicle please!”

I stepped out and asked, “Is there a problem Officer?”

The officer responded, “Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car please?”

I opened the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty boot. In fact, it might be one of Wolram's lost boots.

The officer said, “Is this your car sir?”

I replied, “Yes,” and handed over the registration papers.

The officer, understandably, was quite stunned.

“One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.”

I dug in my pocket and handed my wallet to the officer.

The officer opened the wallet and examined the license. He looked quite puzzled. “Thank you sir, one of my officers told me you didn’t have a license, stole this car, and murdered the owner.”

I replied, “I bet you the lying bastard told you I was speeding, too!”

Last edited:
I got insanely drunk one night, plowed into the back of a convent bus, maimed 20 nuns, and urinated on the officers leg while he was interviewing me. He said 'Son, have you been drinking?' I said 'yessir'. He said, "So what have you to say for yourself?" I said, "I'm sorry, allow me to wipe the urine off your trousers with this oil rag"." He said, "Get away from me!" So I climbed back into my mangled car and drove home.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
My first Husband and I were driving, and he didnt stop at a stop sign, we got pulled over. The cops asked him if he saw the sign, he said no. I said, he saw it, he's just a idiot. The cop gave me a sympathic look and let us go.
Maybe the cop was being sympathetic to your husband. I know you're a sweetheart, but if that's the only thing the cop ever heard you say can you imagine what he would think?

I got pulled over once while driving home from work in Tempe, Arizona. It was about 2 in the morning and I was the only one on the road when the cop got behind me. He asked me if I had been drinking. I said no. He asked me what was in the ashtray. I said cigarettes. He asked me if I had been doing drugs. I said no. He asked if I had any drugs in the vehicle. I said no, you can search it if you like. He said that's alright and asked for my license, registration and proof of insurance. I gave him my license and my registration. He asked me if I had insurance. I said no. He asked me if I knew my registration had been cancelled. I said yes. He lectured me a bit and asked me what I planned on doing if I got in an accident. I shrugged helplessly and explained that I couldn't afford it, but I had to go to work and I just started this job. He said if he saw me again next month he would give me a ticket if I didn't have my papers. Then he let me go.

That was back when I was living out of my car and staying with friends here and there across the country. I think I had recently returned from Mexico and hadn't been working (for wages) in several months. Good times.

1. How do people successfully get out of traffic tickets?

There are a few common ways that people successfully get out of traffic tickets. One way is by challenging the accuracy of the evidence presented by the officer, such as the speed measurement or the condition of the road. Another way is by proving that there were extenuating circumstances, such as a medical emergency or a faulty traffic signal, that caused the traffic violation. Some people also hire a lawyer to help them fight the ticket in court.

2. Is it possible to get out of a traffic ticket if I was caught on camera?

In some cases, it may be possible to fight a traffic ticket that was caught on camera. However, this can be more difficult as there is visual evidence of the violation. It may be helpful to review the footage and look for any discrepancies or technical issues that could have affected the accuracy of the camera. It is also important to consult a lawyer for guidance in these situations.

3. Can I get out of a traffic ticket if I have a clean driving record?

Having a clean driving record may work in your favor when fighting a traffic ticket, but it is not a guarantee. The outcome of a ticket often depends on the specific circumstances of the violation and the evidence presented. It is always best to consult a lawyer for advice on how to handle a traffic ticket.

4. Do I have to pay a traffic ticket even if I think I am innocent?

In most cases, you will be required to pay a traffic ticket even if you believe you are innocent. However, you can choose to fight the ticket in court and present your case to a judge. It is important to note that if you are found guilty, you may be required to pay the fine and court fees.

5. How long does it take to get out of a traffic ticket?

The amount of time it takes to get out of a traffic ticket varies depending on the specific case and the court system in your area. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to resolve a traffic ticket. It is important to act promptly and follow all necessary steps, such as requesting a court date or hiring a lawyer, to ensure a timely resolution.