How to analyse equations of motion advice

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the analysis of a Hamiltonian system with the potential function U(r) = x\ y^2 + y\ x^2. The equations of motion were also provided and the potential's lack of integrability was noted. Suggestions were given for finding constants of motion, including using Noether's theorem and the Hamilton-Jacobi method. Some recommended resources for further study were also mentioned.
genericusrnme
I was just playing about at home with some hamiltonians to see how well I could analyse them without having to solve the equations of motion, I can't think of 3 constants of motion in this particular case so I'm guessing that they aren't integerable anyway.

My little system had [itex]U(r) = x\ y^2 + y\ x^2[/itex]
The equations of motion were then;
[itex]P_x ' = -y^2 - 2\ x\ y[/itex]
[itex]P_y '= - x^2 - 2\ x\ y[/itex]
[itex]p_x = m x'[/itex]
[itex]p_y = m y'[/itex]

My first idea was to look for any straight lines which might allow for 'free motion' but alas the only stationary point in my potential is at x=0.

Next I thought about looking at large initial x and y so that [itex]x \gg y = 0[/itex] and arrived at
[itex]p_x' \approx 0[/itex]
[itex]p_y' \approx -x^2[/itex]

Which lead to [itex]x \propto t[/itex], [itex]y \propto t^4 [/itex] for large x and ~0 y. I'm guessing this approximation is bad though since according to this y shoots off as [itex]t^4[/itex] which will quickly become >>0 which would invalidate the approximation.

I was going to try some principal axis stuff but I quickly realized that my potential has an [itex]x[/itex] beside the [itex]y^2[/itex] and so I didn't know how I could write it as [itex]U(r) = r^T A r[/itex]

So I'm stumped, I don't know where to go from here (or if there is anywhere to go)

My main questions are;
1. Where can I go from here
2. What books can I look up for information on how to deal with these systems

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings and questions about your Hamiltonian system. As a fellow scientist, I would like to offer some insights and suggestions.

Firstly, it is important to note that not all Hamiltonian systems are integrable. In fact, it is quite rare for a system to have three constants of motion, which are necessary for integrability. So, it is possible that your system might not be integrable, as you suspected.

However, you could still try to find other constants of motion. One approach could be using Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in a system, there exists a corresponding constant of motion. In your case, you could look for symmetries in your potential function U(r) and see if they lead to any constants of motion.

Another approach could be to use the Hamilton-Jacobi method, which allows for the separation of variables in the Hamiltonian equations of motion. This method can be useful in finding constants of motion for non-integrable systems.

In terms of resources, there are many books on Hamiltonian systems and their analysis. Some recommended titles are "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems" by Richard Cushman and John Bates, and "Chaos and Integrability in Nonlinear Dynamics" by Michael Tabor.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your further explorations of your Hamiltonian system. Keep up the good work and happy analyzing!

FAQ: How to analyse equations of motion advice

1. What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are the equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They are:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t
where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I analyze equations of motion?

To analyze equations of motion, you will need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the equations of motion to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to remember to use the correct units and to pay attention to the direction of the motion (positive or negative).

3. What are the different types of motion described by equations of motion?

The different types of motion described by equations of motion are:

• Uniform motion: when an object moves with constant velocity (no acceleration)
  • Uniformly accelerated motion: when an object moves with constant acceleration
  • Non-uniform motion: when an object's velocity and/or acceleration changes over time

4. How do I know which equation of motion to use?

The equation of motion to use depends on the given information and the unknown variable you are trying to solve for. You can use the following table as a guide:

Known Variables Unknown Variable Equation to Use
x0, v0, t, a x x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
v0, t, a v v = v0 + at
x0, v, t a a = (v - v0) / t

5. Can equations of motion be used for any type of motion?

Equations of motion can be used for any type of motion, as long as the acceleration is constant. However, for non-uniform motion, the equations may need to be modified to take into account the changing velocity and acceleration.

Back